Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found a brittle star in a new zoa frag...

I just owned a new zoa frag, and found some tentacles in it... I was afraid of hitckhikers, so I did two double dose Seachem Dip.

Then I found that thoses tentacles were a brittle star that was movingin the tank. It is very little and look like this one.

I gave it the chance to go hide before I take a decision about it...
Should I keep or it may become a parasite in my reef tank ?

- 2 clowns
- 1 peppermint
- 6 blue-leg hermits
- little brittle star.

Frogspawn, Hammer, birdsnest SPS, mush, zoa. It will be zoa dominated tank later. What's your opinion on this ?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nothing wrong with having a brittle star in your tank! It will help with the cuc, I have atleast 3 that I have seen in my tank!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelix10 View Post
Nothing wrong with having a brittle star in your tank! It will help with the cuc, I have atleast 3 that I have seen in my tank!
Do they need to be a pair for reproduction or it may reproduce alone ? I fear touching this thing a bit... Does the spines can do skin damage ? Do they bite or are toxic ?

It lost few parts of "legs" as I tried to initially remove it before I knew it was a brittle star with pincettes... Tought it were dip resistants worms...
Old 02-24-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have brittle stars in my tank. Several of them. They are all still tiny, and I have not had any issues. They came in with my live rock, and except for the occasional leg or two poking out of the rocks, I don't really see them.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool then, I'll wait it grow a bit and show his brittle tentacles. Thanks !

I didn't know they were iodine tolerant like that.

I did a double dose dip, and when I saw the tentacles in the zoa frag when it was in the tank, I dipped it again with triple dose double time. (20 min)

An hour after I saw the little brittle star "walking" hmm "moving" on the LR trying to find hiding place... I didn't know it was a little star...

Tags
frag, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com