Found a brittle star in a new zoa frag...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just owned a new zoa frag, and found some tentacles in it... I was afraid of hitckhikers, so I did two double dose Seachem Dip.

Then I found that thoses tentacles were a brittle star that was movingin the tank. It is very little and look like this one.
p-89385-seastar.jpg

I gave it the chance to go hide before I take a decision about it...
Should I keep or it may become a parasite in my reef tank ?

- 2 clowns
- 1 peppermint
- 6 blue-leg hermits
- little brittle star.

Frogspawn, Hammer, birdsnest SPS, mush, zoa. It will be zoa dominated tank later. What's your opinion on this ?

Nothing wrong with having a brittle star in your tank! It will help with the cuc, I have atleast 3 that I have seen in my tank!

Nothing wrong with having a brittle star in your tank! It will help with the cuc, I have atleast 3 that I have seen in my tank!

Do they need to be a pair for reproduction or it may reproduce alone ? I fear touching this thing a bit... Does the spines can do skin damage ? Do they bite or are toxic ?

It lost few parts of "legs" as I tried to initially remove it before I knew it was a brittle star with pincettes... Tought it were dip resistants worms...

I have brittle stars in my tank. Several of them. They are all still tiny, and I have not had any issues. They came in with my live rock, and except for the occasional leg or two poking out of the rocks, I don't really see them. :)

Cool then, I'll wait it grow a bit and show his brittle tentacles. Thanks !

I didn't know they were iodine tolerant like that.

I did a double dose dip, and when I saw the tentacles in the zoa frag when it was in the tank, I dipped it again with triple dose double time. (20 min)

An hour after I saw the little brittle star "walking" hmm "moving" on the LR trying to find hiding place... I didn't know it was a little star...

Back
Top Bottom