Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Found a Great Deal on a Tank....But Cyano Infested

Found a 90 gallon All-Glass RR with the Oceanic stand and canopy for an unbelievable price. 150lb LR, large maroon clown, large snowflake eel, and others. Some corals but they likely won't make it. Setup with a 15 gallon sump but comes with a brand new 25 gallon baffled sump. Has several pumps, PH's, skimmer, UV sterilizer, etc. but I'm mainly interested in the tank because with his maintenance program they're probably not going to last. Lower end PC lighting that will need replacing. However, it's got cyano as bad as I've personally seen. His last PWC was 3 months ago

I really want to jump because of the price....but this amount of cyano scares me. His flow is setup VERY poorly and then no PWC's have been the cause, but every piece of LR is covered too. Will consistent cleanings and PWC's along with upgrading his pump and PH setup take care of the issue, or should I run to the hills screaming

I can't even buy the tank for what he's selling everything. I wish I could take the time to clean all the rock carefully then start the tank up again clean, but with the large fish and 24" snowflake eel, I have to go ahead and set it back up quickly.

Any advice?

12 Gallon Cyano Breeding Tank...LOL
jonboyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just noticed my picture makes it look more like coraline growth but I assure you it's cyano sludge

Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If the price is good and you don't mind a bit of work to get rid of the cyano then I say GET THE TANK! 90g is a great size for a SW tank.

We can help you along the way to getting rid of the issues!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say go for it too. If it's a good deal and the equipment is good then the cyano can be dealt with. That's a lot of nice LR that would cost a bundle. You'll be doing a lot of PWCs, of course, but there are worse things to have to do....
Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I say go for it. Cyano is kinda of a pain, but if you take care of it you will have it pristine in no time. I would mix up some buckets of fresh SW to transport the rock, replace the sand and have a whole new batch of fresh SW warmed to the temp of the tank. I have a feeling, if you do it that way, the cyano will be gone in no time.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

See great minds think alike. If my wife hadn't told me that what I have now is all I can have until we go really big then I would have about 10 other tanks going. LOL!

GET IT!!!!!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

If I do it, I was thinking of hauling the LR in the existing water and having fresh SW for when I get home (about 10 miles). That way I can clean and shake off as much cyano from the rock as possible in the old water before putting it back into the tank. Keep my new water as clean as possible...because the cyano is really caked on the rock.

My only concern about mixing my own fresh SW is the fish he has. I doubt he has a clue what his water parameters are and I don't want to shock them. Even with significant acclimation, I fear his numbers may be soooooo far off decent parameters the fish may not acclimate well to a properly dosed tank. I guess I need to run some tests on his water parameters so if SG and pH are low (like I expect), I can mix my SW a little lower than normal and gradually bring the tank parameters back into a good range. I tend to mix a little "hot" (SG=1.025 and pH=8.4) so my trace elements stay higher.

Seriously guys/gals.....it was sad to see once I got there. I may actually try to sell the fish so I can do the tank right without harming them...even though I would love to keep them all.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I forgot to mention his 2-foot snowflake eel has a bad dispostion and apparently bad eyesight that's going to make really cleaning the tank hard. Definantly a biter
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would save as much of the water as you can. You can always put the fish in a smaller tank and then slowly acclimate them to the new water. I would not reuse his sand. Get new sand for the tank.

If you take your time you should be just fine. The fish are tougher then we give them credit for.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

They might not have the best eyesight but it`s better than you think. Mine can see a piece of shrimp from a ways off.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyano, eat, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com