Found another Mantis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've heard the clicking noise in my tank for a while now, figured I had a mantis that didn't get caught like the other 4, but never saw it...until last night. That little SOB was out for a second before diving back into a rock pile.

Now, how do I catch this little guy without totally taking apart and dipping ever piece of LR? If I have to do another seltzer jacuzzi, maybe I'll do it when I move, but I would rather catch him now.

there is a couple of ways:

1) take a glass jar set at an angle and place some food in it. the glass will be to slippery for the shrimp to climb out.

2)taks a plastic soda bottle and cut the top 1/3 of the bottle off turn the top so that it is actually inside the bottle seal it together and place some food inside this will give you a make shift lobster cage.

HTH

mark

Mantis can swim, though, so I like the second idea better.

As far as the carbonated water dip (which worked for the other 4), I was thinking about using tank water and dry ice, which would be a lot cheaper than seltzer water.

put a bottle cap out on a trip wire hooked to a mouse trap. Sea crustaceans are famous for being pirates and stealing shiny stuff. When the mantis grabs the bottlecap the mouse trap will go off, flinging him out of the water and into your hood. Hopefully you will have glued 3d finishing nails on the underside of the hood by then, so when he strikes the hood he will be impaled. At this point you should mock and belittle him for his stupidity (pirates hate that). Turning the lights on is optional at this point. The final step is to take his battlecap and pocket it, now he will be totally submissive as he understands of your dominance. You can then remove him peacefully and without fear of being popped by his claws.

I could also challenge him to a duel, but with that many legs, we'd have to define 10 steps.

Get a Fridimani they are known for eating mantis.. lol

James

LOL I personally thought about it but I never did.. I caught him by luck after about 4 months.. He went into a piece of LR that I was able to remove quickly and drop in the sump until he came out of the sump.. I actually caught both of mine that way..

James

I caught my first 4 with carbonated water, and since I am moving next month and will be ticking off all of my inhabitants, that might be a good time to do it again.

since I am moving next month and will be ticking off all of my inhabitants, that might be a good time to do it again
That sounds like the perfect time to do it.. FWIW dont waste money on buying a trap I tried that and them Mantis are pretty smart.. Never was able to catch any of mine nor have i been able to catch the pistols that I had.. I was lucky and got a mated pair of pistols.. 1 died the other day and it happened to be the female that was carrying a butt load of eggs.. Well the eggs made good food for everything else in the tank..

James

I wasn't really thinking of a trap, doesn't seem efficient enough to me.
I was just letting you know ahead of time as I figured I would try it and wasted about $20.00 on a trap that has done nothing but catch my Royal Gramma and my hermits.. lol the Royal Gramma was pretty funny when I awoke to find her trapped LMAO..

James

Okay, this post has my curiosity up and wanted to drop in question. So im sitting around in the room with the tank, T.V. is on low and I suddenly hear a single loud pop/click from the tank. Is this a sign of mantis?

So im sitting around in the room with the tank, T.V. is on low and I suddenly hear a single loud pop/click from the tank. Is this a sign of mantis?
I would say more than likely its a sign of a pistol Shrimp and not a mantie shrimp.. Mantis Shrimp also make a noise like that but it shouldnt be as loud unless its a pretty big one.. If it was loud kinda like a gun then it was more than likely a Pistol Shrimp..

HTH<
James

I had two mantis shrimp in my 65 gallon and created a trap with a plastic soda bottle. This worked, but not before they killed of a third of my tank. When I caught them, I ran them under hot water, swore at them then, flushed them. But, they are cool looking shrimp. If I had another tank I would have kept them. :)

cookiemn said:
I had two mantis shrimp in my 65 gallon and created a trap with a plastic soda bottle. This worked, but not before they killed of a third of my tank. When I caught them, I ran them under hot water, swore at them then, flushed them. But, they are cool looking shrimp. If I had another tank I would have kept them. :)

For future reference you can usually find someone who will take these little guys off your hands since they are rare to buy at a LFS. I've seen posts on RC where somebody has laid claims 5-10 minutes after the post was listed :D

I feel your pain, however the shrimp was just doing what is was made to do and needed to do to survive :?

For future reference you can usually find someone who will take these little guys off your hands since they are rare to buy at a LFS. I've seen posts on RC where somebody has laid claims 5-10 minutes after the post was listed

I feel your pain, however the shrimp was just doing what is was made to do and needed to do to survive
Highly Agreed I was able to trade mine for a few Frags from a fellow local Reefer.. FWIW most will even pay s/h if your willing to ship them out as well..

James

Back
Top Bottom