Found: Mini Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some chaeto from a local reefer about a year ago. It came with tons of little ministars. My water conditions were awful back then, under-sized skimmer. Anyway, the stars quickly died off. Haven't seen them since the first week I got the chaeto. Today, during the trimming back of my chaeto, I was shaking the chaeto out in the main tank before throwing it out and I found a white mini star, about 1" long with legs, clinging onto the chaeto. I tried to pick the chaeto out to put him back in my fuge, but he flew off. I grabbed a flashlight to try and find more in my fuge but I didn't see any :-(

These things are supposed to multiply like crazy right? Hopefully I've got at least a couple in my fuge and this wasn't the only survivor. I'm sure he won't last long in my main.

- Skins

Asterina star?

I see them on the back wall attached to the glass sometimes, they are always missing body parts though lol.

If you have some you will likely see more. they seem to reproduce faster then rabbits. If you want to be sure, try introducing some into your tank for the LFS or a friends tank.

I found another in my fuge. I haven't really looked in my fuge for a couple months. It's been up for a year and hasn't really changed as far as life goes. Just pods and worms. I looked tonight and there are these mini stars, tiny snails, octopus (not really), worms and pods everywhere. My chaeto was the size of a basketball. Maybe I've been too quick to trim it back.

Anyway, that is all. Cool to see these mini stars.

Lance M. said:
Asterina star?

I see them on the back wall attached to the glass sometimes, they are always missing body parts though lol.

This is a good thing as this is how they reproduce. They will lose a limb that will end up being another star. And yes Lance your Star identification is correct.

They look so cool. I wish they would be out in the open like my red marble fromia star. That would be awesome to see a couple little white stars like that on the rocks during the day. I usually just see them on the back glass or at night.

I'm guessing you guys are talking about the tiny white brittle star looking guys right? If that is what you are talking about try picking up one of the rocks that you have on the sand bed and looking at the bottom. I have found dozens clung to the bottom of rocks...especally during my tank move this past weekend. Lando is right...rabbits!!!
starfishsy0.jpg

I know the image is bad but you can sort of make out the starfish on my finger....is this what you all are talking about?

Yes these look like what Scott has there. Not brittle stars. You have alot of those in your tank Zig?

Actually, I am talking about Ziggy's. Does anyone know the scientific name for them?

No, I believe they are very good. Cleans the nooks and crannies of your rocks.

Now what is this mess....don't these people have better places to mess around in then in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved the spam to the staff forum so we could figure out who it is and flog them. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom