Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Found Oceanic sea salt

Well, I had read about it and I know some have switched to this but it was never in my area. A petsmart opened up in the area and they sell 90 gal containers for $30. This is a bit more expensive than IO at $45 for 160 gal. Are they gouging me?

I have read that Oceanic has a better CA reading right out of the container. I am hoping that with this salt that I won't have to dose kalk until I get more SPS's. I assume the Alk is in line with the CA?

Anyone here try oceanic and switch back? I know there is some negative posts over on RC and the LFS around here recommend IO or red sea.

Can I just mix some of this up with some IO mixed water I already have? I normally do 5-6 gal water changes each week due to cyano. Would this be too much to start or should I try half that on my 75 gal?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oceanic salt;

I have been using oceanic salt for two months now,seems to mix faster and the water is a little clearer than instant ocean. IMO.

5 crabs
1 snail
1 coral shrimp
30lbs live rock
ClownMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're switching, don't mix the two salts.. just do your regular water changes using the new salt. And test levels regularly.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
elliz
I buy my salt at Petsmart all the time...heres a hint that your store may let you do...depends on the store. If you will go to the Petsmart website and find the salt, print the page off including the pic and price and the store will honor the online price. Again depends on the store...for example in the store I can buy the 50 LBs for $19.99 and the price on the internet is $9.99...big savings.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

They don't list oceanic on their website. I see the 50lb bag of IO is 9.99.

That is a decent deal on IO though.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
There are a great deal of people here in the Dallas area that use it and swear by the CA in it. They moslty post on www.dfwmas.com if you would like to take a look at what they say. I have not used it as I purchased many buckets of IO when it was on sale and have not gotten rid of all of it yet.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Great stuff, I switched about 3 months ago. It mixes very nice and the container beats those bags.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have been buying the 160 gal IO buckets. I use them all the time for water changes. Most are around 5-6 gal. I have about 5 of them

I just wish I could get the oceanic in something larger than 90 gal. I guess I can't complain too much. I wish it was cheaper too ...
Old 08-24-2004, 06:42 PM   #9

I was told by an independent store that that there the same salt ,I've been using the instant ocean for about two years now, never had a problem ,I did at one time research salts and the bottom line I came up with is some are better then others in some ways but worse then others in other ways , just find one that works well for you and stick with it ,don't let price be the deciding factor in which salt to use, its not worth the problems down the road
Old 08-24-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just bought a 50Gallon jug of the Oceanic for 17 bucks...so I dont think your getting gouged. At least not too bad

She left me before we met.
youronlysin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanic, salt, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com