fowlf to reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I realized the truth last week that I can't convert to reef. I was suspicious about my fish and I was correct. My selection of fish doesn't suit a reef tank...i.e, eating corals:facepalm: Plan 2 is I've decided to aquascape with base rock and watch it, over time, advance and become live rock. I have about 15 lbs. of established live rock now and I've ordered 35 more lbs. My tank is a 50 gal. Also, I'm replacing my substrate with sand I've also purchased from Reefrocks. Hope this doesn't upset the tank too much. What do you think?

The rock and sand from reef rocks are great. The rocks are good quality and the sand didnt need to be washed and it never got foggy! You will probably want at least 60 lb o rock though

What is your current stock?

Hi NU-NU. Ok, here's the deal. I finally found my trusted book, "Marine Fishes". It became misplaced after we moved. 50gal. tank. Here's my fish: 2 clowns, 1 damsel, 1 canary wrasse 1 coral beauty, 1 Klein's butterfly, 1 scooter blenny, 1 goby, 1 med/lg snail and 1 brittle star. According to my book I can have corals if I smartly pick and choose. What do my friends here think?

The only fish I would be worried about with coral, would be the Butterfly. I think the rest would be OK. The Coral Beauty is kinda hit or miss with coral, but I believe most leave it alone.
The rest of your stock would be fine for a reef! :)

flreefer: Thanks. My reference book does state the butterfly might occasionally nip at polyps but should be safe with soft corals. I'm planning on starting out small and see what happens. I think my fish are well fed which should help.

Keeping them well fed is a good idea, to try to curb any coral sampling, just not too well fed. Lol
Sounds like you've got a great attitude towards moving forward.
Best of luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom