Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yep, sounds like you have plenty of lighting. One thing to keep in mind is that mushrooms, polyps, and leathers are some of the hardiest of corals....but can also be the most toxic in terms of chemical warfare. You may want to add only a few select species (Eric Borneman's book has quite a bit on the toxicity of species) if you plan on adding LPS, etc. in the future.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Also remember that in a small tank you are going to be limited in space. corals need space and they will hurt each other if there too close. most shroon, zoos, polyps get along. Hammers, frogspawn, torches need there space.
So research before you buy...
Xenia is easy and a nice coral but can take over a tank so be careful with this one.

9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 04:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the info.
The names of specific corals I should try and what you feed them would be great.
What do you use to increase circulation?? Most people just stick in powerheads, but they are ugly. I made a self contained closed loop system that is hidden out of sight. I took PVC pipe and made "Y" shaped manifold that is buried in the sand bed with the outlets protruding just above the sand. The pump is a large capacity powerhead hidden in the back of the tank with LR. I have two of these and they seem to work great. R
rickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sounds like you have plenty of light with 4wpg. You could easily be able to keep a wide array of corals including shrooms, zoos, blastos, frogspawn, .... Your setup sounds fine. The thing is that COULD do well with what you have. The fact of the matter is that it is addictive and the next thing you know you're adding things that push your limits and then upgrading your setup to accomodate

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
I am not up on all the intricacies of a reef yet but would it be safer to exclude leathers due to possible chemical releases? (i've heard it referred to as chemical warfare Though I have also read that keeping carbon in the filtration system will counter this. Please set me straight.
39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
yeah any sarcophyton is a concern in that department and carbon should help. There is no silver bullet though and it is best just to keep compatable animals in your aquarium. If you are set on having leathers and lots of sps corals I would say get a big tank the extra water volume helps dilute any toxins and give each coral the space it requires.
Scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks for the info--you all have been very helpful.

rickh is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com