foxface experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
i've got a case of Dictoya algae growing in my tank, nothing to serious but its a realy arse hole to get rid of, from my research it is the most hated algae and it can still thrive even in the cleanest environment. my urchin may graze on it but it doesn't seem like it does much, i've heard naso tangs and foxface will eat it, now a naso tang is out of the question and will get wayyy to big for my baby 35g but i was thinking about gettign a young one spot or two bar fox face and then one it gets to large find someone to take it, i may possibly even move it to my 72 gallon once i set it up as it will do better in a tank that size.

which leads me to my real question who has experience with a fox face in a reef? live aquaria says house with caution and if they are not properly fed they can pick at coral polyps which i am not keen on having done

I recently returned my fox face of two years to the lfs...he would nip none stop even after being fed daily and the addition of seaweed...it was just becoming out of control. No matter how he are he'd still nip.

I recently returned my fox face of two years to the lfs...he would nip none stop even after being fed daily and the addition of seaweed...it was just becoming out of control. No matter how he are he'd still nip.
did it get to the point were the coral could not recover? i'm mainly concerned with LPS and SPS because those are my ideal corals i'm not huge on softies

I never had a foxface show interest in coral. They were all model citizens.
i was hoping you would say that, are you currently keeping one in your 300?

I think all fish are different just as we are...I've heard that they are beneficial to the reef as they eat bubble algae and help with house keeping...mines wasn't to beneficial...after 2 years he just all of a sudden took an interest to corals..

I think all fish are different just as we are...I've heard that they are beneficial to the reef as they eat bubble algae and help with house keeping...mines wasn't to beneficial...after 2 years he just all of a sudden took an interest to corals..

no disputing that in the slightlest, which is why i asked yours nipped so much that the coral couldn't recover

i've read a story were someoen had one and it learned that his/her duncan coral was a slow eater and would pick at the mouth of the coral even when there ws no food, never did any real damage though which is possibly soemthing you saw if the nipping didn't cause any serious damage

Last edited:
No I can't say it caused any significant damage other than aggravation and maybe a little stress to the corals.

No I can't say it caused any significant damage other than aggravation and maybe a little stress to the corals.
if thats the case then i'm not to worried, corals have to deal with these things in nature, sure its a bit of a pain but my logic would be that it would make a coral stronger in the long run if its not damaging it and causing little stress to it.

thanks for your input i appreciate it, i would like to hear different experiences before i ultimatly make a final desision, i would hate to have to give one of my fishies away

i was hoping you would say that, are you currently keeping one in your 300?
Not at the moment, but I wouldn't worry about adding one. If this yellow tang doesn't start behaving himself, I might just be in need of a yellow fish. I had one in most of the tanks I've kept, and there's one in the Devon Fitness Club tank I used to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom