Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah iv got a clown fish that try's to attack my hand when iv got it in the tank every thing else just hide in the rocks

Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
Forgot about the fish details- I will be listing my unsuitable fish for sale as the LFS is not accommodating. I have 2 clarkii clowns which hosted the anemone and another- they are trying to wake him up at the moment which is sad. I also have a dotty back, sailfin, blenny ( haven't read up on that yet as bought it y'day) and red corin wrasse/yellowfin (also bought y'day). I think the only fish I should actually have are the clowns, blenny and dotty back since I have researched but these were all advised as ok by different LFS after I gave them my tank dimensions, coral info and existing livestock. Can't trust them.

I will research fish suitable to smaller tanks and have an idea of what I should buy before I walk into an aquarium and get caught up with the colours. Mind you, I really do see myself buying a much larger tank within 12 mths if I have success with this one so maybe there are some I can keep if they are reef friendly?
what do you mean by sailfin? sailfin tang? if so you will need to rehome that too. those fish are very active swimmers and two feet will not cut it

Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A foxfaces venomous spines are defensive in nature, not offensive. So hes more than likely not the cause of these deaths. As for sticking your hand in the tank, the only time he would sting you is if he was extremely threatened by you, which should never happen as long as you are paying attention
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Hi
The tank is a combination of two- I upsized (from the 90 litre which had finished cycling for about 6 wks ) and used the water from the 2nd hand established tank and mine and added new fresh salt water from the shop 2- 3 weeks ago . I had the water tested by 2 LFS to reconfirm my readings prior to buying fish. I test for carb hardness and the colour is within the range. I have another bubble who is thriving and hard and soft corals which all are doing great. The lighting is an Aqua One brand- 2 tubes- and the aquarium picked out new tubes ( Chinese brand ) suitable for the corals- one bright and one marine blue. It just seems weird that he had deflated all of a sudden?
I am also doubting your lights ability to keep nems alive long term. imho, it would be better to rehome them now until you get proper equipment and a well aged tank.

Quote:
Just did a little dance....he's popping back up! So happy but would still appreciate advice on the tangs as the LFS said they grow really slow and will be fine in my size tank. Can I keep them for another 12 mths until I work out if I go bigger or find another home for them or do they grow quickly and need to go to a bigger tank now?
feel free to put your lfs on your black list for any Incoming information. If you don't have the capacity to house a fish currently then it really needs to go to a different home

People always say they plan on upgrading their tank to justify having unsuitable fish but its super common that it never happens when life gets in the way.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

AquaAndrew- Yes a sailfin tang. That LSF said they grow very slow so I had no problem : ( Shop rent paid lol
Old 08-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyden71 View Post
Yeah iv got a clown fish that try's to attack my hand when iv got it in the tank every thing else just hide in the rocks
My cichlids do that- much more game than the marine fish : )
Old 08-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
It's best to re home them now and focus on getting livestock suitable for the size tank you have, tangs in particular are prone to disease so by keeping them you run the risk of them getting sick (ich is common) and taking everyone else out. It also sounds like you don't have the right kind of lighting to keep an anemone, they not only require very high lighting but also pristine, stable water parameters. They are recommended for established tanks. If you don't have test kits I highly recommend you getting some, even the API salt water master kit will do the job and a refractometer for measuring salinity. It's hard to find a good LFS you can trust for sure but its good you've found this site - so many experienced reefers to stead you in the right direction

Thanks- I have found a couple of good sites now which show the fish profile including whether they are reef friendly, diet and minimum size tank. My problem is I have looked at pics of existing tanks and recognised these fish being shown in smaller tanks. I do have an API high range reef master test kit and a carbonate hardness test kit. I have read that I need to test for magnesium too so will read more into that. I will be buying extra lights asap even though the LFS picked out the globes. I have seen several you tube videos on Aqua One AR620 (90litres) set up as a reef tank with even a yellow tang in it ( apparently for 9 yrs ). This is why I thought the tang would be ok for several years. I originally cycled one of these tanks but found the larger tank with sump online. Cycling the smaller tank as a hospital tank if needed. Still on the lookout for an attractive large tank- I know what I have in mind but want it 2nd hand so cheaper
Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks- Yes I hear what you are saying- I already have 2 fully set up 210 and 250 litre cichlid tanks as well as this one and an Aqua One 620. Have taken pics and will advertise them for sale and try again..got too excited when they said my water was right and I could start buying fish but I did tell them everything about my tank. They should refuse to sell if not suitable. They are meant to be the experts.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I am also doubting your lights ability to keep nems alive long term. imho, it would be better to rehome them now until you get proper equipment and a well aged tank.

feel free to put your lfs on your black list for any Incoming information. If you don't have the capacity to house a fish currently then it really needs to go to a different home

People always say they plan on upgrading their tank to justify having unsuitable fish but its super common that it never happens when life gets in the way.
Thanks- Yes I hear what you are saying- I already have 2 fully set up 210 and 250 litre cichlid tanks as well as this one and an Aqua One 620. Have taken pics and will advertise them for sale and try again..got too excited when they said my water was right and I could start buying fish but I did tell them everything about my tank. They should refuse to sell if not suitable. They are meant to be the experts.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
what do you mean by sailfin? sailfin tang? if so you will need to rehome that too. those fish are very active swimmers and two feet will not cut it
Hi yes a sailfin tang. That LSF said they grow very slow so I had no problem : (

Tags
anemone, foxface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com