Foxface poison anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi

I already posted a link about my yellowfin coris wrasse as I have received incorrect advice from 3 LFS as I have bought my first marine fish in the past week or two. Forgot to mention I also have a foxface recommended by the LFS as reef safe and I have researched last night (after buying) and find out it's venomous!!! I am horrified and now scared to put my hand in the tank. I knew lionfish were venomous so there was no way I was buying one of them but am reading that it's a community fish and ok as long as it doesn't sting me :(

I have just looked at my normally healthy and vibrant bubble anemone and it has shrunk and looks all wrinkled up like it's dying. I did just feed the tank but didn't notice him. Would the foxface have killed him?

I just bought the foxface 4 days ago, lost a fish the following day ( thought it was because he had a small lump on his fin ) but now I know he is venomous I am thinking he is killing my tank?? We rang the LFS I bought him from and they said their policy was a refund of 30% even though they didn't tell me the drawbacks and said he was reef safe. They also sold us the blue tang and used the excuse "well you wanted it". I have a 167litre tank ie 2ft x 2ft x1.5ft and told them this.

I have a spare 60 litre tank I have been cycling that I could put the foxface in it in the meantime to save the rest of my livestock? I am so annoyed I feel sick.

Hi
The tank is a combination of two- I upsized (from the 90 litre which had finished cycling for about 6 wks ) and used the water from the 2nd hand established tank and mine and added new fresh salt water from the shop 2- 3 weeks ago . I had the water tested by 2 LFS to reconfirm my readings prior to buying fish. I test for carb hardness and the colour is within the range. I have another bubble who is thriving and hard and soft corals which all are doing great. The lighting is an Aqua One brand- 2 tubes- and the aquarium picked out new tubes ( Chinese brand ) suitable for the corals- one bright and one marine blue. It just seems weird that he had deflated all of a sudden?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: One Spot Foxface

I dont think your issues are your Foxface, need more information on your tank, how long has it been set up, lighting, what type of water and parameters, and all inhabitants, neither the Tang or the Foxface can live in a 2 foot tank.
Forgot about the fish details- I will be listing my unsuitable fish for sale as the LFS is not accommodating. I have 2 clarkii clowns which hosted the anemone and another- they are trying to wake him up at the moment which is sad. I also have a dotty back, sailfin, blenny ( haven't read up on that yet as bought it y'day) and red corin wrasse/yellowfin (also bought y'day). I think the only fish I should actually have are the clowns, blenny and dotty back since I have researched but these were all advised as ok by different LFS after I gave them my tank dimensions, coral info and existing livestock. Can't trust them.

I will research fish suitable to smaller tanks and have an idea of what I should buy before I walk into an aquarium and get caught up with the colours. Mind you, I really do see myself buying a much larger tank within 12 mths if I have success with this one so maybe there are some I can keep if they are reef friendly?

Just did a little dance....he's popping back up! So happy but would still appreciate advice on the tangs as the LFS said they grow really slow and will be fine in my size tank. Can I keep them for another 12 mths until I work out if I go bigger or find another home for them or do they grow quickly and need to go to a bigger tank now?

It's best to re home them now and focus on getting livestock suitable for the size tank you have, tangs in particular are prone to disease so by keeping them you run the risk of them getting sick (ich is common) and taking everyone else out. It also sounds like you don't have the right kind of lighting to keep an anemone, they not only require very high lighting but also pristine, stable water parameters. They are recommended for established tanks. If you don't have test kits I highly recommend you getting some, even the API salt water master kit will do the job and a refractometer for measuring salinity. It's hard to find a good LFS you can trust for sure but its good you've found this site - so many experienced reefers to stead you in the right direction ;)

Foxface fish in my opinion are one of the most community friendly fish I've owned. As for reef safe, I've had no issues with it chewing corals. As for putting your hand in the tank, I'm willing to bet your fish hide the moment you out your hand in the tank.

I only had one fish ever hassle me and it was a baby clown fish. For whatever reason this guy thought he was 2 feet long and 10 pounds of tough guy.

I have a foxface as well and have never had an issue with him and other fish or me when I'm in the tank. He nibbles at my hand if I'm holding seaweed but I've never seen him raise his spines at me.

Just did a little dance....he's popping back up! So happy but would still appreciate advice on the tangs as the LFS said they grow really slow and will be fine in my size tank. Can I keep them for another 12 mths until I work out if I go bigger or find another home for them or do they grow quickly and need to go to a bigger tank now?

First the blue hippo, blue regal, yellow belly, or whatever other name they used will get to 18-24". They need a bare minimum of a 6 foot long tank. I keep mine in a 210 gallon 6 foot tank. Second, if you're using a two bulb t5 light fixture is be willing to bet your anemone problem is insufficient lighting.

Fox face are fine fish for a reef. You would have to work at it to get stung and even then you would survive (all though it hurts like heck).

Research your new additions and don't listen to the LSF, they are there to pay their rent by selling you stuff. Some are honorable, some are not. Healthy tangs grow surprisingly fast.

Forgot about the fish details- I will be listing my unsuitable fish for sale as the LFS is not accommodating. I have 2 clarkii clowns which hosted the anemone and another- they are trying to wake him up at the moment which is sad. I also have a dotty back, sailfin, blenny ( haven't read up on that yet as bought it y'day) and red corin wrasse/yellowfin (also bought y'day). I think the only fish I should actually have are the clowns, blenny and dotty back since I have researched but these were all advised as ok by different LFS after I gave them my tank dimensions, coral info and existing livestock. Can't trust them.

I will research fish suitable to smaller tanks and have an idea of what I should buy before I walk into an aquarium and get caught up with the colours. Mind you, I really do see myself buying a much larger tank within 12 mths if I have success with this one so maybe there are some I can keep if they are reef friendly?

what do you mean by sailfin? sailfin tang? if so you will need to rehome that too. those fish are very active swimmers and two feet will not cut it

A foxfaces venomous spines are defensive in nature, not offensive. So hes more than likely not the cause of these deaths. As for sticking your hand in the tank, the only time he would sting you is if he was extremely threatened by you, which should never happen as long as you are paying attention

Hi
The tank is a combination of two- I upsized (from the 90 litre which had finished cycling for about 6 wks ) and used the water from the 2nd hand established tank and mine and added new fresh salt water from the shop 2- 3 weeks ago . I had the water tested by 2 LFS to reconfirm my readings prior to buying fish. I test for carb hardness and the colour is within the range. I have another bubble who is thriving and hard and soft corals which all are doing great. The lighting is an Aqua One brand- 2 tubes- and the aquarium picked out new tubes ( Chinese brand ) suitable for the corals- one bright and one marine blue. It just seems weird that he had deflated all of a sudden?

I am also doubting your lights ability to keep nems alive long term. imho, it would be better to rehome them now until you get proper equipment and a well aged tank.

feel free to put your lfs on your black list for any Incoming information. If you don't have the capacity to house a fish currently then it really needs to go to a different home :(

People always say they plan on upgrading their tank to justify having unsuitable fish but its super common that it never happens when life gets in the way.

It's best to re home them now and focus on getting livestock suitable for the size tank you have, tangs in particular are prone to disease so by keeping them you run the risk of them getting sick (ich is common) and taking everyone else out. It also sounds like you don't have the right kind of lighting to keep an anemone, they not only require very high lighting but also pristine, stable water parameters. They are recommended for established tanks. If you don't have test kits I highly recommend you getting some, even the API salt water master kit will do the job and a refractometer for measuring salinity. It's hard to find a good LFS you can trust for sure but its good you've found this site - so many experienced reefers to stead you in the right direction ;)

Thanks- I have found a couple of good sites now which show the fish profile including whether they are reef friendly, diet and minimum size tank. My problem is I have looked at pics of existing tanks and recognised these fish being shown in smaller tanks. I do have an API high range reef master test kit and a carbonate hardness test kit. I have read that I need to test for magnesium too so will read more into that. I will be buying extra lights asap even though the LFS picked out the globes. I have seen several you tube videos on Aqua One AR620 (90litres) set up as a reef tank with even a yellow tang in it ( apparently for 9 yrs ). This is why I thought the tang would be ok for several years. I originally cycled one of these tanks but found the larger tank with sump online. Cycling the smaller tank as a hospital tank if needed. Still on the lookout for an attractive large tank- I know what I have in mind but want it 2nd hand so cheaper (y)

Thanks- Yes I hear what you are saying- I already have 2 fully set up 210 and 250 litre cichlid tanks as well as this one and an Aqua One 620. Have taken pics and will advertise them for sale and try again..got too excited when they said my water was right and I could start buying fish but I did tell them everything about my tank. They should refuse to sell if not suitable. They are meant to be the experts.:facepalm:

I am also doubting your lights ability to keep nems alive long term. imho, it would be better to rehome them now until you get proper equipment and a well aged tank.

feel free to put your lfs on your black list for any Incoming information. If you don't have the capacity to house a fish currently then it really needs to go to a different home :(

People always say they plan on upgrading their tank to justify having unsuitable fish but its super common that it never happens when life gets in the way.

Thanks- Yes I hear what you are saying- I already have 2 fully set up 210 and 250 litre cichlid tanks as well as this one and an Aqua One 620. Have taken pics and will advertise them for sale and try again..got too excited when they said my water was right and I could start buying fish but I did tell them everything about my tank. They should refuse to sell if not suitable. They are meant to be the experts.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom