Foxface/Rabbitfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utahcutter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I have found lots of connflicting information on these guys, and want to clear up the muddy water. :? I've read that they get along fine with others of their kind in their tank, and I've read that they don't. Also have read that they grow to 4", and that they grown to 9.5". And that they may nip and corals, or that they won't unless they are underfed? I'm looking into getting one down the road after I get my 55 up and running, and algae growth, etc. Can someone give me the truth here?
TIA

I don't know the truth but I can share my experience.

I have a Foxface Lo.

It does not get along with the Pencil-Streaked Rabbitfish so I have them in seperate tanks.

The Foxface is now 9" and growing very fast. Has outstanding personality and follows me around like a dog when I'm by the Lagoon. He has never nipped any coral but completely decimated a large colony of mimi-grape Algae.

I had a Valonia outbreak and he ate every single one.

Love your signature quote!! :lol: If yours is 9" long I don't know that keeping one in a 55 is a good idea then.

My experience is right there w/ Bang. The only thing I would add is that mine seems to be rather shy at times. It is a ravenous feeder, no matter how much algae or macro I feed it. The main thing you need to know is that they are venomous.

Squishy

Yeah, I read about the venom, handle with care. Does that every cause a problem with it's tank mates, or is it totally a self defense thing?

Totally defense. They're quite docile except for some posturing with Yellow Tangs & other Rabbitfish.

My yellow and Fox are like brothers. They hang out together to the point of schooling..but then one will do something the other doesnt like and they will squabble for 5 min. Which..I being the parent am obligated to look down into the tank and yell "IF YOU DONT STOP THAT RIGHT NOW, I AM GOING TO TURN THIS TANK AROUND AND TAKE YOU RIGHT BACK TO THE FISHS STORE!"

That usually works.

Squishy :mrgreen:

LOL squishy. Well, I don't know why but I really want one. Maybe I can talk to my husband and get him to let me upgrade when the fish gets to big for my tank. But I'll probably just end up waiting til we get a bigger house instead. Thanks for the info guys. Glad I didn't just run out and get one thinking he would only get 4" big.

Squishy.

:lol: My Foxface and Sailfin Tang are like that too. Always following each other around the tank, checking to see who got the bigger piece of nori, then grabbing it from the other one. Quite amusing most of the time. Real speed demons too. Glad I got a 6' tank but wish it was longer now. They're both still only about 4-5 inches too. Then again when the SF open up he looks much bigger.

My Pencil-Streaked Rabbitfish is even more docil. Unfortunately they get larger than Foxface though.

utahcutter said:
Wow, beautiful fish bang guy. Seems like you have one of everything. Ahh the jealousy.

Thats possible when you have over 1000 gallons of water in your house dedicated to a aquarium! :D

Back
Top Bottom