Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Foxface/Rabbitfish

Well I have found lots of connflicting information on these guys, and want to clear up the muddy water. I've read that they get along fine with others of their kind in their tank, and I've read that they don't. Also have read that they grow to 4", and that they grown to 9.5". And that they may nip and corals, or that they won't unless they are underfed? I'm looking into getting one down the road after I get my 55 up and running, and algae growth, etc. Can someone give me the truth here?
TIA

Old 02-19-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
I don't know the truth but I can share my experience.

I have a Foxface Lo.

It does not get along with the Pencil-Streaked Rabbitfish so I have them in seperate tanks.

The Foxface is now 9" and growing very fast. Has outstanding personality and follows me around like a dog when I'm by the Lagoon. He has never nipped any coral but completely decimated a large colony of mimi-grape Algae.

I had a Valonia outbreak and he ate every single one.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Love your signature quote!! If yours is 9" long I don't know that keeping one in a 55 is a good idea then.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My experience is right there w/ Bang. The only thing I would add is that mine seems to be rather shy at times. It is a ravenous feeder, no matter how much algae or macro I feed it. The main thing you need to know is that they are venomous.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I read about the venom, handle with care. Does that every cause a problem with it's tank mates, or is it totally a self defense thing?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Totally defense. They're quite docile except for some posturing with Yellow Tangs & other Rabbitfish.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My yellow and Fox are like brothers. They hang out together to the point of schooling..but then one will do something the other doesnt like and they will squabble for 5 min. Which..I being the parent am obligated to look down into the tank and yell "IF YOU DONT STOP THAT RIGHT NOW, I AM GOING TO TURN THIS TANK AROUND AND TAKE YOU RIGHT BACK TO THE FISHS STORE!"

That usually works.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

LOL squishy. Well, I don't know why but I really want one. Maybe I can talk to my husband and get him to let me upgrade when the fish gets to big for my tank. But I'll probably just end up waiting til we get a bigger house instead. Thanks for the info guys. Glad I didn't just run out and get one thinking he would only get 4" big.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Squishy.

My Foxface and Sailfin Tang are like that too. Always following each other around the tank, checking to see who got the bigger piece of nori, then grabbing it from the other one. Quite amusing most of the time. Real speed demons too. Glad I got a 6' tank but wish it was longer now. They're both still only about 4-5 inches too. Then again when the SF open up he looks much bigger.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Pencil-Streaked Rabbitfish is even more docil. Unfortunately they get larger than Foxface though.

Tags
foxface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com