Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2005, 02:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Foxface rabbitfish? Anybody recognize these?

Saw a couple at the LFS, asked the guy how big they got and he said 8" and that they would do great in my 58 gal reef tank, that they're mainly algae eaters and very peaceful, leave coral alone. Anybody here have anything to add to this? Dispute about this? Beautiful fish, I'm looking at them seriously, knowing well that it will use a lot of my bioload. I really would like one large fish and possibly two or three little fish. I'm putting together as we speak a 20 gal sump for this tank. I love the look of the tangs, but I'm wary of stifling one. If I could find a smaller one... or a tang-like fish (which is why I really dig these rabbitfish)...

Old 03-05-2005, 02:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to packfan2204
i would pretty much consider they're space issues the exact same as a tang, they get big and i wouldn't suggest it in anything less than a 4ft. 75, more if possible. Also if u do decide to go ahead with the rabbitfish, be careful because THEY ARE POISONOUS!!! And if u really wanna see a cool rabbitfish, look at the magnificent rabbitfish, definitely on my all time favorite list!!!

July 25, 2005-ship date, can't wait!!!
packfan2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

58 gallon 'show' / 232 liter: 36 1/2 inch by 18 1/2 inch by 21 1/2 inches high

Those are my dimensions.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
they are a nice fish....I would prefer to see it in a larger tank. They do like alot of swimming room. Also, as a side note, you do have the venemous spines on these as well to be wary of. (just in case they didnt tell you that)
As far as temperament, very mellow.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I have one and it's now abut 5¬Ĺ". He and the SF Tang are buddies and sometimes race across the tank (125 gal - 72" long). I wouldn't want to see one in less than a 48" long tank. I think my tank is too small for them and they are not full grown yet.

Great peacefull grazers, always picking at the LR. This is not really a reef safe fish unless it is well fed. That leads to other potential problems (nitrates). Mine loves Nori, and yes, their spines are Venomous (not the same as poisonous). I have never had a problem with that even though it comes over whenever I put nori in the tank.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I kinda figured they needed more room, looking so tang-like. Ah well... back to surfing the goby block again. Such is life. I could wish for a bigger tank but I'm constrained by structural stability. The one good thing out of this is my pod population is already so massive that a mandarin goby is well within my grasp, especially since I still don't plan on adding fish for at least another month.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love my Foxface. They eat pretty much any algae in the tank. If you have LR, they will graze all day in search of food, much like Tang behavior.

Mike

Tags
foxface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com