FRAG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I cut the coral I got on my lr.com order? I cant rember the name of it. :oops: I think it would make a good first frag because I have a ton of them.

That depends on the coral, leathers, zoo's, and mushrooms are really easy fraggers. Post some pics.

Hmm, never tried to frag those myself, sorry. Maybe somebody else has an idea, I think those are on the medium to hard as far as fragging. It has a hard base like a bubble coral I believe, which is kind of a pain to frag. I did it but it was quite extensive, had to use the dremel and wedges method. Not 100% sure though. Good Luck.

I have a bunch of this in my tank. It grows _very_ slowly, however it is hardy. IMO I do not see an easy way to frag this stuff since it is rock hard and will break if you put a lot of pressure on it. Give it a try though, maybe you can cut it with a chisel blade and glue it to another surface with CA glue. You will need to get right down to the base of the coral.

I do not think it would frag very well. If you have a nice colony going I would just leave it.

They are not necessarily a sought after coral, but I really like the few clusters in my tank. Also, one of my clusters has a green stripes on each tube that glow under Actinic light, it looks very nice, I wish it would grow about 50 times faster though.

Since you have so many of them it woouldn't hurt to experiment and try fraging a colony.

There is a method for fragging coral of this type that involves a dremel and some chisels to pry it apart. I would do some searches in that direction, I think you can do it the same as a bubble coral. The only way I've ever fragged one is by accidentally dropping it on the way home from buying my bubble. I opened the bag and I had two. :lol: There is some good fragging info here: http://pub9.bravenet.com/faq/show.php?usernum=737567594&catid=3349

the www.garf.org website has a lot of info on fragging different corals and you can email them to see if they have any suggestions on specific corals. They are very big on frag-your-own instead of taking from the natural reefs. I saw some very cool fragging ideas on their site.

Back
Top Bottom