Frag for $$$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I took 4 frags to the LFS 2 weeks ago . I also decided to get a goby they had but had to run to the grocery store and told them I would pick up the fish in less than an hour. When I returned all my frags had been sold and the store gave me $75. They asked for more so I today I took 12 more. I was there maybe 15 minutes and before I had left 3 where already sold out of the cooler I took them in. The owner asked for even more so I am taking another load tomorrow. Just wanted to share this info with people that are having a had time justifying the money spent in this hobby. This will pay for food and supplies etc, plus it helps preserve the reef. If I could only frag enough to pay the power bill :D In short.... Frag'em if you got'em

4 frags for $75 is excellent. What were they? When I had xenia out the ears, I would get $5 credit a frag. I try to trade/sell locally or here now.

I get $15 a piece for finger leather frags about 6" tall. I get $5 a piece for shrooms attached to turbo shells. Xenia I can't give away. Going to attempt my first toadstool frag soon. If that goes well I expect they will fetch $15 a piece also. IT adds up. I can't keep up with the finger leather frag requests where I live.

Great idea if you have an LFS that wants to deal. Back in the day when I was heavy into FW plants I supported my hobby for 6 months before we moved just by harvesting from my tank every two weeks and selling to my LFS.

I can see a propogation tank in my future. At least I might be able to justify it to the Mrs. :)

I've been taking my kenya tree corals to LFS for a long time now, I get store credit for them. I took around 60 to a wholesaler in my area and he gave me $200 credit. At another LFS I get $5 for small ones and 8 for med.
I got a new bacth of Kenyas that need to go soon..
In my reef club we do lots of trading and giving away of frags, this helps out a lot with new tank owners.

I have yet to make any frags but i know my LFS is buying xenia from someone in town. GOod job on the frag sales. I wish i was in an area where the market for this stuff was that good. :tear:

seaham358,

How big are your Kenya tree frags when you take them in? My Kenya Tree frags itself all the time. I have several small branches popping up all over the tank, but none of them are real big 1-1.5" and most single stalks. My Red musshrooms are popping up in several locations as well.

This is why I am thinking a small frag prop tank might be the way to go so I can grow them out a bit and they are not lost in the main.

For a prop tank say 20g or smaller do you think I can get away with a single power head with a sponge? If I am doing regular PWC I would not think that a skimmer/filter would be needed.

Thoughts?

My kenya was self fragging what seemed like weekly for a while, and when the frags got large enough they would frag.. I would sell them when they were 3"+. The 4-5" I would ask $8 for. I have some now that are 6+ so I will be asking for more $$. The 60+ I took to the dealer were anywhere from 1.5 to 6" tall. The one LFS wants mounted corals the dealer did not care..

I had one corner of my 125 covered with kenyas. I would take a bunch or LR rubble and then put the frags on top of that. After a weeks the frags would attach to the rubble... I now have moved the larger ones into my fowlr, they were taking up too much room in the reef.

I have given one to just about every member in the reef club... They are the gift that keeps on giving... Most people in the club now have Kenya Farms now also..

I just traded 4 frags of xenia for this no name skimmer. I had the world famous seaclone in there waisting perfectly good electricity so I made the deal.

Its powered by a rio 6100 which I had from my old tank. The picture is from running just one day. I figured it would take a few days to break in. Just goes to show you want the clone was not doing.

Attachments

• skimmer_530.jpg
    skimmer_530.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 29
oh yea, I get between $5 and $15 depending on how large the frag is.

Check these out. Maybe get some new bulbs for the tank with some of these.

crazy2.jpg

Hey nccmike,

Very impressive. Can you tell me the specs of your tank? Water movement, lighting, filtration, what addatives (if any) you use, how often you change water....

I just like to get that sort of info from people who are obviously successful at reefkeeping to see what I can improve upon.

Thanks,
-L

Really? I could swear I read an atricle a few years ago saying that the pulsing xenia was fragile and difficult to keep... I haven't been following reefing stuff much recently. My tank got stable and I just wasn't adding things so I stopped reading. Forwhatever reason i feel like improving it now.

A 1" frag of xenia will grow to the size in that pic in about 3 or 4 months in a well maintained tank. If you maintain salinity, ALK, CA, and PH at correct levels as well as doing reg WC you should not have a problem with any "normal" corals if you have correct lighting. stability is the key.

Back
Top Bottom