Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Frag frogspawn or whole?

I have a large frogspawn (12 heads) that is beautiful but large. For those of you folks who have experience with this I have a couple of questions.....

1-is it better to trade this off as a whole coral or split it up?
2-how do I decide what is a fair price for this coral? Assuming that I do it as a store credit - what should I expect for this?? Is there a rule of thumb like a quarter of what the org purchase price was???

MsBeanCtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Wish I lived closer.

I don't have a clue how much you could get for a head or two of frogspawn. My LFS would probably give around $10 for a head, but they also charge around $25 for frags too. Some other stores in this area sell frags for only $10, so you might not get much at all.

They are easy to split up though. Sometimes you can break a head off with your hand.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
1)The LFS's that I deal w/ don't like freshly fragged pieces. If you have room to grow the frags out some after mounting them, it may bring more money by splitting it up- maybe. If you want to get rid of the coral to make room in your tank, you could cut 1-2 heads off to keep and trade the rest of the colony- Just an idea.
2)IME retailers, decent ones that is, will give approx. 1/3rd of what they plan to sell it for. Sorry I can't give a good dollar amount on the value. Sometimes I leave the LFS w/ more than I thought I would, other times less after trading frags w/ them.

HTH and good luck w/ it.
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
My LFS will give me half of what he would sell it for. I had one that I broke the heads off but I kept them.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
We(local club members) sell frogspawn to local hobbiest for $5 / head. I would think a LFS would want 2-3 heads but maybe not. If is is a branching frogspawn, they are easy to frag. You will always get more $$ from fragging it up than selling it as a whole. Depends on if you have anough demand. I have a double softball size head that I frag often. I just wish my area was not so saturated with it

It does ship ok though.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

frag, frog, frogs, frogspawn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com