Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Judge
Frag Glue

Hello, I'll try and keep it short but have a question about using Hold Fast directly in the tank to secure my new Xenia and some red shrooms. It has a warning on it stating to wash hands with soap and water that it can irritate sensitive skin SOOO are they saying it is safe AFTER it dries for 30 minutes in which case it is useless on attaching my Xenia to a piece of LR???Seems to me if it can possibly harm my hands when not dry what is to keep it from harming my tank buddies? Need input and thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have never heard of the glue, but i just let my xenia grow onto LR. same with mushrooms. they just secure themself to the LR if you put them in a low flow area. i have heard if you are glueing mushrooms you can not get any of the glue anywhere but in the foot or it will harm you friend. i would assume the same with the xenia too. if it will harm you it can not be all that good for your corals

125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Judge
Thanks for the reply S & T. It is made by Marineland but the Xenia was already attached to a small rock so all I needed to do was attach it to the bigger rock in the tank. That way none of the epoxy has to ever come in to contact with any of my tank buddies. So far so good. It has hardened with no problems. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh good sorry i misunderstood what you wanted to glue where. haha
125ga. FW w/60ga. sump. VERY aggresive fish
tamra&steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I have used hold fast and had no problems. In my experience it holds better to pieces of rock rather than the coral itself, which tends to get slimy and unable to stick to much. Hope yours works fine

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Softies are best left to attach naturally. I bought some wedding veil and a piece to fit around the frag and the rock I want it to attach to. Glue or rubberband the wedding veil to the rock. You want it just tight enough to hold the frag to the rock.

I use Aquastick which is probably the same epoxy as HoldFast. You knead it out of water. I attach it to the small rock out of the water and then press it against the larger rock. If I have too much I sometimes trim the excess that squeezes out in the tank.

Glad it worked for you.

Now comes the fun part when the Xenia tries to spread everywhere and want to take over your tank

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frag, glue

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com