Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Frag placing and plug removing?

Hey everyone, I don't like to start threads that there's already a lot of like this one here but I still haven't found some details in my situation and I still have some questions I can't find the answer to. Ok, so I have a few frags in my tank and I think it's time for them to permanently be situated. Most are on those large disk plugs which aren't very pretty so I need to know first how to remove them and second how to stick them on my rock. I see that people use glue and what not but my problem is that the rock I wanna place them in is a very big one and its gonna be way too hard to get it out to glue the frags on. I have this putty I ordered online which is meant for that (I have never used) so I'm hoping I can putty them to the rock while under water. Another question is how do I remove them? Do I break it off or cut it off? My last question is about frags that don't go on rock. Like I understand I would wanna mount an acro to a rock and just let it grow upwards but what about corals that like to be on the sand? Would it be a good idea to remove it off the plug? But then place it where? If not do they still grow or do they at least have to be by a rock?.. Examples being alvoepora, hammers, brains and so on.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Poxy is permanent. Make sure the coral is thriving where you want it to sit. People use super glue gel because its easy to remove if u figure your coral isnt happy there. Ive made a mistake of permanently placing a coral in a area. When it was time to redo my aquascape for some other reason it limits what you can do.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Last week a took a birdsnest off its frag plug because there was an aiptasia on it. I figured the frag would break at the base, but was a started pulling, it just popped off, no damage to the coral. You also can use a razor blade to get under it.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good thanks.. So the poxy is too risky. Is there any other way to stick it I the rock without having to pull the whole rock out?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

It adheres better when the rock is damp. You can damp the coral and apply the gel to the base and than stick it in but thats hit and miss and wont adhere as well. Another
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budda619 View Post
It adheres better when the rock is damp. You can damp the coral and apply the gel to the base and than stick it in but thats hit and miss and wont adhere as well. Another
But will it set completely underwater?.. I guess if it has to be moved ill find a way to get it off because these seems like my only option
Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use a gel super glue from API it works well and sets very quickly under water just wait a few seconds and place the frag where you want it good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dollar tree sells a 3 small tube per pack of super glue gel. I glue the plug then place underwater, when you place it I usually have to twist in to break the gel seal on plug against the rock. Plus like everyone else was saying it removes easy.

Tags
frag

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com