Frag Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crobb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to be setting up a dedicated frag set up, going to use the hydroponic grow trays. I'm doing everything on a budget and have everything but the sump and overflow. The sump I should be able to figure out, but I'm lost for how I should do the overflow. I'm guessing the cheapest way would to be building my own overflow. Would drilling be the way to go or would something like this be better?

Go with a eshopps nano overflow box, $40 on amazon, well worth the money if you don't want a drilled tank option. I tried many times to this DIY overflow and it's just a hassle with getting everything to work right and making sure there this is no air in the PVC tubes. Save yourself the hassle. In the end you'll spend a little more but you will be satisfied.

I have made two homemade overflows, they are easy and work great. I made one for my 55gallon into my 10 gallon refugium and it was slick. I probably only spent $10-12 making it. I would say it is worth your time.

Just go with drilling it or getting the eshops. The other overflow doesn't self prime and during a power outage, you will more than likely have an overflow.

Thanks for all the advice going to drill the trays for sure. Hopefully will have a start by early this week

I have made two homemade overflows, they are easy and work great. I made one for my 55gallon into my 10 gallon refugium and it was slick. I probably only spent $10-12 making it. I would say it is worth your time.

Do you ever worry about losing siphon?

BTW, I use these for frag tanks and refugiums-
Rubbermaid® Structural Foam Stock Tanks, 50 gal. Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.

I just put a standpipe in it and the bulkhead in the bottom-
img_2760906_0_3bebbbdb3fb01f1e901388ddec83272f.jpg

img_2760906_1_51025c35f7e59116407aa693f29fea85.jpg

Love both your set ups. Was drilling and installing bulk heads easy in those tubs?

Looks like my pump is coming tomorrow! About to get this project in gear. Going the tray route, going to be about 100 gallon with about 800 gph return pump. What size bulkheads should I buy from LFS in order for the overflow to be able to handle that? Also threaded bulkheads right? Would I just need one return and one overflow too? Sorry for all the newbie questions looking forward to building a sump for first time

Back
Top Bottom