Frag swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I posted this in the regional forums, but I'm not sure how many people check out that section.

ncpars_fall swap.jpg
http://www.centercup.net/images/ncpars_fall swap.jpg

Not sure....lol What additional info are you looking for?
Date/time, location, fees, schedule and where to register are all there.

No problem. I got nervous there for a sec. Thought something was missing. ;)

Come on up Ziggy. Going to be a good time. Sanjay will be there too since he's a club member. It's probably not more than 3 hrs from you. :)
ooops...lol Just Google mapped it. 4 hrs 43 mins. I guess thats a bit too far.

Last edited:
3 weeks to go! There are lots of frags listed on www.fragswapper.com now. If anyone is planning on going, register and reserve your frags. Some people bring extra frags, but most only bring what was reserved. Sanjay has a few nice 1's listed too.

Hope to see some of you there.

Just a little update. We got the official word on the topic Anthony Calfo will speak about.

"A Call to Farms! A path for hobbyists towards zero reef impact"
This lecture will embrace a wide range of topics including grass-roots hobbyist conservation options, small and larger scale propagation for profit and charity, and an overall focus on things reefkeepers can do to realize a self-sustaining hobby.

I just got back from the swap. It was a great time. I was hoping a few AA members would have attended, but maybe next time.

Anthony Calfo's presentation was very interesting. It was based on coral propagation. I talked to him for about 15-20 mins after his presentation about fragging coral. I told him about my frag experiment and he said he would like to see every coral frag you see for sale mounted flat. He explained how when the frag is mounted pointing up, only the top sections get the best light and flow, but when they are mounted flat, the entire length of the frag gets the good light and flow and growth is better due to the better lighting and flow. I can't argue with that since my own little experiment shows it to be true.
He also spoke of the problems the marine hobby may come into in the very near future. In the 70's and 80's, the reptile and bird industries took a hit when imports were virtually shut down. The way the coral reefs of the world are being damaged, he said imports of many coral and fish may be cut back to almost nothing. He urged everyone to do their best to propagate the coral they have to help take some of the pressure off the reefs.

If anyone ever gets a chance to see him, it's well worth it.

Very nice Larry. Is that a millapora? I need to brush up on my SPS corals. LOL

I saw him in California on October 13th at what they call Reef-a-Palooza. I saw him speaking to a group of people when I first got there, but since I got there late I didn't listen very long at all. Maybe I didn't have my priorities straight.

Very nice Larry. Is that a millapora? I need to brush up on my SPS corals. LOL

Nice milli, Melosu- how many watts per gallon do you have with your VHO? I have a little over 6-watts per gallon of VHO only, and I have been able to keep the color on every sps I have put in my tank. Placement is up towards the top of course. I have various acros, montis, birdsnest all doing great. The growth may not be as good as those with halides and T5s but the color and polyp extension is awesome. Basically what I am getting at is, you may actually be able to branch out and try more sps.
With that said, I am in the process of looking to upgrade to a 180-gallon finally and I am either going to go with T5 or keep my VHO and add halides to it. This way I can keep sps other places in the 180, than just at the top.

I want a piece of that!!! Beautiful coral.

I did something similar to what you did with your frags only I did it by accident. I had a bunch of small frags of pink birds nest that I just laid together on a shelf in my frag system and after a few weeks they grew together in a mass. I have them sitting in my main display the same way they grew together and the growth is amazing. I have to agree with mounting frags flat. It seems to make a big difference on recovery time as well as new growth.

Here's a little better pic. The 1st 1 I took about 12 hrs after it was in the tank and it was taken with a flash. This 1 is about 48 hrs later under my mh lighting.

millie_11-3-08.jpg

Back
Top Bottom