Frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
All of my corals are growing like weeds and I have been having pretty good luck selling frags. I would like to set up a frag tank. Luckily I have everything laying around to set another tank and sump. Is it possible to do a coral only tank if I feed it a small amount once a week or so? Or do I need at least one fish? The whole point of this is quality water and no bad algae. It will be a 20 tall frag tank, cpr overflow, 30 gallon sump full of live rock, mag 9 return, and a koralia 750.

Will you have a skimmer?

You don't need a fish. A few snails would help though.

I have a 24 gal running now, Koralia PH, 4 bulb T5 light, Fluval 405 (circulation only) and some LR rubble/Matrix and a heater. Clean water, good flow & good light is what you want. Simpler the better for a frag tank.

You should be good with regular water changes & light feeding. I don't use one either yet, will probably get one once I go Zeovit/Biopellet on it down the road.

You might want to add carbon, either in a bag or better yet a reactor - keep the chemical warfare to a minimum. Otherwise I think you are ready to rock.

What are you going to light it with?

not 100% sure yet, I have a 40 watt fixture w/ 1 10k and 1 actinic. I dont think that will support much more than low light stuff so I will prob add another light of some sort over the tank. I don’t want to buy a nice fixture for it because I am in the process of a 8’ 240 gallon build and I will probably be buying 2 48” nova extreme pros for that.

The 20 frag tank is now running in the basement. Needs a big water change because the water is a mess. I have the 30 gallon long sump completely filled with live rock and my return. I’m gonna get some egg crate for the frag racks in the 20.

You should add a small tang to graze the algae. I get some corals from a frag farm and that's what they use

who cares if there is algae in a frag tank. its to grow corals so the more algae the cleaner the water will be resulting in a nicer glowth for the corals

tank is up and running, I picked up a chromis today at my LFS for 4.99. Just trying to do the lighting as cheap as possible. I have a 15 watt light that I used for a refugium once. Its just a cheap light (looks like the heat lamp style). Will that sort of thing work if I were to put four of them over the tank? 60 watts is 60 watts right, no matter the light? or no?

Wattage is only one aspect to lighting. Spectrum & intensity are what you are looking for. I'm not a lighting expert by any means, so hopefully someone else can help more, but I doubt it will work.

Gti_Leo said:
who cares if there is algae in a frag tank. its to grow corals so the more algae the cleaner the water will be resulting in a nicer glowth for the corals

I would think the frag tank should have cleaner water, limiting the algae growth rather than the other way around.

no doubt it would be, why why bother with a CUC :p i would put maybe a few stars or hermits to lean up any detritus on the bare bottom

Back
Top Bottom