Frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbiesamp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
M going to start a frag tank and was wondering what fish and inverts I need in there and what there jobs are and if any one has a frag tank will they post pics
Thanks

Depends what size of tank. Most frag tanks are 30 or 40 breeder tanks. So mostly nano fish. Check out some of the gobies, a clown goby might be neat in a frag tank.

Gobys work well, a friend of mine has a couple small clowns in his. It really just comes down to the size of the tank. Just make sure not to chose any known jumpers.

My suggestion would be to go fish less. The idea of a frag tank is to have a dedicated place with optimal water & lighting.

MikeYQM said:
My suggestion would be to go fish less. The idea of a frag tank is to have a dedicated place with optimal water & lighting.

+1

Yes. Lets remember the purpose of a frag tank. To hold and grow out frags at optimal rates. This requires extremely stable and pristine water quality. Adding fish only adds to the fluctuations. If any fish is added to a frag tank, then they better have a very beneficial reason for being there.

If you want fish in your frag tank then really it just like any other tank. Frag tanks are dedicated coral growing tanks.

Ok but don't you have to have a fish to keep the cycle going or something like that

Robbiesamp said:
Ok but don't you have to have a fish to keep the cycle going or something like that

No. With no fish you will have no significant ammonia source and beneficial bacteria populations will shrink to appropriate size. The cycle will always remain going.

Not to mention the ammonia source from target feeding LPS & planktonic feelings for others

If you want a frag tank, yup. If you want a tank you grow frags in, no.

I want a tank where I can frag and grow my corals out like a propagation tank

A 20 long isn't a bad size, excellent depth. Of you want to grow out SPS I'd suggest drilling it and adding a sump for water volume. Since its a working tank you could go without an overflow box & use a simple Rubbermade sump with a cheap return pump. If you can borrow the drill it might add $40 to the build but will help keep water more stable

Yea I'm thinking about having my home show thank and the frag tank using the same sump and get a 55 gall sump or something like that with those plants and some things in there with a big protein skimmer

Back
Top Bottom