Frag Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton33

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm thinking about doing a 20g frag tank with a power filter, heater, and small powerhead. Because the tank lighting isn't so great, I was only aiming to do simpler corals such as xenia, mushrooms, zoas, etc. What I was hoping to do is buy some really small fragments of the corals above and grow them in this tank to later put in my 28g reef. Would this setup be okay? I know that a protein skimmer would be smart, but if I did frequent water changes, I figured it would be all right.

Could I also put some small hermits and astrea snails in there to keep it clean?
And if I were to get one small fish to swim amongst the corals, what would you recommend? THanks!

Their is no reason you cant put any of the listed above in the tank it would be fine. You could put a clown in (maybe a pair). Just make sure theirs some rock for the fish to hide in if you do it.

If this is a "frag tank" then no fish maybe some inverts if your having algae issues but ideally it shouldn't be because the idea of a frag tank is perfect water for frags to thrive in so why add a fish to produce waste and make things even more difficult

Well, some fish can help rid the tank of unwanted pests, and it would add some moving life to the tank:) I like the idea of a clown pair!

Then its no longer a frag tank just a young reef tank and your eliminating the point to the frag tank.. any pests should be found during quarantine and dealt with before adding to your frag group

Easton33 said:
PLease dont get difficult! Im just going to grow some corals in a tank with one or two fish. I dont need anymore of your input

You came here asking for help and that's exactly what I do but if you wanna be rude then fine go about it however you want. Hope it works out

If i were to do a frag tank, i would have nothing else in it but frags. I would toss a taotronics led above it, some korallia powerheads, and a quality skimmer. Thats it. The only reason youd need a skimmer imo would be to remove excess waste from the food I would be feeding my frags to aid in their growth.

Only more simple it can become is if you dont feed and wouldnt need a skimmer.

Like I said you could add fish. If your only adding 1 or 2 small corals I think it would be pretty boring. Its just another excuse to have a second reef tank lol.

Typically frag tanks are fish less but I have seen lots of people plumb their frag tank off their sump which isn't a bad thing as it removes the need to acclimate when moving to the DT. Being plumbed off the sump means they run the same water as the DT which usually has fish. You also want to try to run the same lighting on your frag tank so you don't need to acclimate them to the DT lights. as far as having fish in the FT it's your call just make sure to pick reef safe fish and I would suggest keeping it minimal. One more piece of advice is in regards to people on forums. Not everyone has the same views and opinions but we all have the right to express them. it's up to you as the person seeking advice to choose which advice to take and which to dismiss. That doesn't mean it's bad advice but sometimes it just doesn't fit for you. It's your tank so it's up to you what goes in it people are just trying to help whether they are tactful about it or not.

Back
Top Bottom