fragging a brain coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
not to hi jack this thread but i have always wonder how to turn a frag of brain coral turn spherical looking "brain". do i shave of the LR that it's glued to and find a spherical looking LR?

not to hi jack this thread but i have always wonder how to turn a frag of brain coral turn spherical looking "brain". do i shave of the LR that it's glued to and find a spherical looking LR?
I think you're talking about the skeletal structure. Might be best to post a picture of the area your referring to cutting. All brain corals I've seen have a pointed bottom and aren't very round. I've always kept mine on the sand bed of my tank so the shape of the base never bothered me.

yes, the thread was created when my comment was moved from another thread. but the point i was trying to make is that: i'm getting a wedge of the brain and i would like to know how to achieve the spherical looking brain coral, such as the pineapple brain coral.

yes, the thread was created when my comment was moved from another thread. but the point i was trying to make is that: i'm getting a wedge of the brain and i would like to know how to achieve the spherical looking brain coral, such as the pineapple brain coral.
As far as I know you will have to just let it heal itself from the fragging. BUT I've heard it's a slim chance if a fragged brain to make a full recovery because they tend to grow very slowly.

It will eventually build a spherical skeleton.
Here's one that i got a while back-
img_2698745_0_eae3b004a739bd30cf0b25c37b1923eb.jpg

And after a while-
img_2698745_1_72f56e3fc72b5a851edf94e755185be4.jpg

And here's an acan maxima I bought as a scoly.....
before-
img_2698745_2_475c3f7b16529d7d8d37b8057e1d86ee.jpg

And later-
img_2698745_3_0033cb3f61e84b270c62ee610363c4b8.jpg

thanks mr_X, that's great to know. for the 3rd pic where you got the second brain coral, did you shave off the live rock that it was on? or did it grow over the live rock?

It grew over the rock. I wish I had a side shot for you, but as they encrust and spread over rock, they also get rounder, so they build a skeleton on top of the rock. As you can see, that rock is sort of cupped, and now the coral is a big, round, ball of polyps.

sorry i was thinking open brains like lobos, trchys and wellsos. My fault. Brain wasn't working with me. :banghead:

sorry i was thinking open brains like lobos, trchys and wellsos. My fault. Brain wasn't working with me. :banghead:

yeah, i thought you might've meant your experience with corals like lobo. well, off to get some brain from someone locally. thanks everyone for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom