Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fragging and attaching frags

When cutting corals into frags and attaching frags to live rocks are they done out of water or in water in a bucket? If attaching is done in water is it safe to have wet super glue in the tank?

Old 12-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Take the rocks and frags out of the water and glue them together. Then let the glue set a few secs and put the glued piece right back in the water. The frags will be fine out of the water for a few mins. The glue will "dry" in the water. You will have the best results using super glue gel.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Depends on what you are frag'n as well. Fishing line can work wonders to hold things only a rock as well. Just lightly tie it down and give it a few days of low flow, it should attach.

This works great for softies/shrooms, etc. Superglue gel otherwise works well for me also, just not on the slimy frags.

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just as a note. dont frag toadstools ( sarcophyton) in the tank. they can deflate when cut and release toxins in the water

steve r
Old 12-02-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most things will release a slime when fragged. I would frag most everything outside the tank. Corals do get exposed to air in the wild.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What great timing. I have a Toad Stool that's in the process of throwing a baby. I was going to help it along a little and cut the remaining thread off of the momma. I guess I'll just wait it out for the baby to drop on her own. Hmmph. Learn something new every day.

Superglue Gel is a must. I find the Loc-Tite brand better than the bigger brand name. It holds better, IMO.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have fragged sinualria fingers off in the tank. It was too big to remove. I would just cut one or two arms at a time and then not touch it for a week or so. When I fragged my toadstool, I cut an inch off the whole outer edge so it made a donut with a big hole in the middle. I then cut that into smaller pieces. I let the mother colony set in a bucket for a few minute before placing it back into the tank.

It will depend on how much water you have in your system as well. A larger tank can handle these changes better. It is a good idea to run carbon afterwards as well if you don't normally.

Tags
chi, frag, frags

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com