Fragging coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Photoevangelist

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS said this is a clove polyp. Looks like a jasmine to me (maybe jasmine is part of the clove family?). Anyways, it's growing well-too well. It's spreading to live rock so I'd like to know how to frag it. I've never fragged any corals yet but spent the better part of last night searching how I could frag my leathers, Xenia, shrooms, and buttons.

My LFS told me I could not cut it off of the live rock and that I would need to break off a piece of the live rock that it's expanding to.

I would like to trim it so it doesn't get out of hand but these are animals and would like to save the polyps (removing it from the live rock and putting it on another loose rock) to get it into a possible frag tank or put it in the market as tank bred.

Any tips would be gladly welcomed!

Attachments

• image-1927804266.jpg
    image-1927804266.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 98
image-1598644029.jpg

Thanks for your reply!

It looks like it has really attached to the live rock. Would I just need some tweezers to pull it off and a blade to cut at the end?

What kind of glue do you recommend? I read superglue for torches, etc. The coral is fleshy, wouldn't superglue burn it too bad?

I've read that you can cut as close to roots as possible, dremel them off and as barbaric as just ripping them off. Also superglue is perfect.

Superglue tends not to work too well on fleshies. You can use a rubberband to keep it on a small rock. Remove it after a week or so.

Sounds like they are pretty sturdy corals.

image-2662788911.jpg

They are growing under the rock too. I might try cutting some of that off too and attaching them to some rock pieces. I like the rubber band idea. I saw that method for other corals.

Now I need some rock pieces and some fragging tools! Should the rock be seeded or is dry rock ok? I saw some small dry rock pieces at the LFS

I noticed another colony moving in another direction-up! Towards my Xenia. Doubt I'll have time to try out fragging until next week.

Back
Top Bottom