Fragging leathers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the best method you use to frag leathers? Iv got a devils hand and a toad stool that are about a foot wide that I want to frag up and sell. Iv seen a few vids on YouTube but I want some personal experiences. I don't have a hospital tank so they will be going back into my DT

I fragged my toad a couple weeks ago, and the pieces are already attached to frag plugs and doing great.

It's pretty easy, really.
1. I used a large bowl. Take a piece out of the tank that you want to frag.
2. Using very sharp scissors, cut around the stalk whatever you want to frag, just make sure not to cut the stalk. I only cut a small piece off my leather, but really you can cut a whole side off, without hurting he stalk.
3. Now that you have the section you want to frag removed from the mother, cut it into as many smaller pieces as you want (well, not too small of course.)
4. Rubber-band the frags to frag plugs, and place them somewhere where they can safely heal (my cleaner tried to attack my new frag, so watch out for things like that.)
5. The mother colony should heal up pretty fast, but still, watch out for infections (from what I've read this is rare.)

The new frags should attach quickly, at which point you can remove the rubberband.

Good luck!

What's the best method you use to frag leathers? Iv got a devils hand and a toad stool that are about a foot wide that I want to frag up and sell. Iv seen a few vids on YouTube but I want some personal experiences. I don't have a hospital tank so they will be going back into my DT

It's really not a big deal. I was super nervous about fragging for the first time until I realized just how easy it is. Hardly ever lost any corals that I fragged most of which were mushrooms.

Thanks guys so mainly just keep good Params thru out the whole thing these are my 2 that I want to frag ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402866844.068869.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402866870.663463.jpg

Just a pair of household scissors is all you need. Leathers do slime up when stressed, so they are hard to glue to anything. You can rubber band them to small rocks and they will attach on their own in a few days. You can slice them and dice them, even the base. They are quite resilient and in most cases do very well after being fragged.

Back
Top Bottom