Fragging or Breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigalwoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Helooooo guys, thanks for clicking on this thread. At the moment my tank is look quite beautiful and in underway to growing out a few frags to make it look even more beautiful :brows:, but in the mean time whilst my DT ages, i have 3 months of holidays coming up and cannot decide on 1 thing.

Start fragging and build my own frag tank.
OR :blink:
Start breeding clowns and build a breeder tank.

I am not sure what will be more enjoyable, more hands on, and in the end more rewarding. I don't plan to make any money at all off either of these but just as something to pursuit my interest in reefing and allow me to work in a more hands on sort of way in saltwater aquariums. Please help me choose, offer tips, advice, pros+cons, experiences, ANYTHING to help me decide before i pick the wrong or right one :D :thanks:

If it was me, I'd have a frag tank. I just say this because I have no interest in breeding clowns. That and putting together a 40 gallon breeder with an LED and maybe some egg crate in it would be easier...maybe. That and what would you do after you breeded the clowns had a ton of fry? Your LFS might not take them for credit so you'd be stuck with a ton of fish without homes.

I'd choose both haha. Make the 40 breeder a frag tank & put a pair of clowns in there with the frags. No other fish. I don't see why this wouldn't work out. I would check with your lfs see if they will buy the clowns & for how much before you start. Good luck.

I would do the frag tank because there doesn't seem to be any shortage of clowns in any LFS you walk in. Because if this, You might not get anyone who will take the clowns. On other hand, if you grew a wide range of different kinds if corals and they looked great, you could sell them to either small LFS around you or on CL!!

Yeh I'm leaning towards the frag tank as it seems more useful, although I just bought 2x 2ft tanks today on eBay for $12.50 each second hand, hopefully I can make one of each, or just do 2 frag tanks depending on stock and space limits. :) thanks for the replies guys

DWilliams said:
I'd choose both haha. Make the 40 breeder a frag tank & put a pair of clowns in there with the frags. No other fish. I don't see why this wouldn't work out. I would check with your lfs see if they will buy the clowns & for how much before you start. Good luck.

I agree with this and tried it. There was a down side. Every time I stuck my hand in the tank to fiddle with a frag or rock (and I do a lot of fiddling) I would be attacked by a squadron of clown fish. The big ones can really get your attention.

Back
Top Bottom