Fragging Questions.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Two Questions.....
I'm not sure if this is the correct name but I have some green palys that I might want to frag. I've had it about 6 months and it has tripled in size!! How do you frag these? Here's a pic

This is when it was small!!

Also my next question is about my mint star poylps (I think that's what it's called) This has also grown rapidly and is coming close to my center clove polyps! (Not in pic) The center clove is also growing well, but I don't want the mint stars to take over....How do I frag these?? Here's another pic

This is MUCH bigger now and has encrusted itself to the rocks.. What do you think?? ( Correct me if I'm wrong....that's what I bought them as on Ebay!)

just pull a paly polyp off and glue it to a plug, good to go!

for the star polyps, i have no idea

For the paly coral you can do what was already mentioned or break the rock.

For the star polyps you can cut it with a razor or break the rock (which may also require a little cutting).

Make sure you wear gloves when dealing with the palys and wash your hands real well after your done. Some of them have some nasty toxins in them that if they get in your eyes or mouth can cause a really bad day in a hurry.

So doing that wont kill them? and the same for LR too huh? You can jst break it off? How would you do that w/o pulling it outta the water and killing some of it?

How would you do that w/o pulling it outta the water and killing some of it?

Almost every coral can survive out of the water for a short period of time (some up to an hour). If you think about tidal pools, they are exposed to air for hours at a time and the corals still survive. Sponges will die because they cannot be exposed to air.

Cool Video! My boyfriend is teasing me that he's going to have to build me a coral workshop!! (I like that idea!) I think I'm going to wait till the corals get a bit bigger before I go chopping!

Jason, I had absolutely no idea about the toxicity of Zooanthids. Thank you very much for the heads-up. I did a google search and I found this article the most informative.

Aquarium Science: Palytoxin and You: How and Why to Avoid a Deadly Zoanthid Toxin | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

And this one, kind of scary that it's listed on a Chemical and Biological Warfare information website.

Palytoxin

Did you know that a dose of 100 nanograms of purified palytoxin (about nine thousandths of a percent of an aspirin tablet) is theoretically enough to kill a human?

Back
Top Bottom