Fragging toadstool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
My toadstool is having problem standing upright so I figured I might try to frag him. Do I just cut the stalk say half way up and then attach it to another rock? From what I gather the bottom half should then grow into anther toadstool?

That's not really going to help if it's top heavy though.. it would be better to cut a donut around the cap.

Atari said:
That's not really going to help if it's top heavy though.. it would be better to cut a donut around the cap.

I just thougth maybe the stalk was too long? I think it may be because the rock it's on is very small as well, if I secured the rock that would probably help but I was hoping I could frag it and get 2 corals :D

If you cut about an inch deep all the way around the cap you can make a bunch of frags out of that. Say about 2"x1" pieces attached to a disc made from reef putty or something.

There's a great book on coral propagation by Anthony Calfo.

Atari said:
If you cut about an inch deep all the way around the cap you can make a bunch of frags out of that. Say about 2"x1" pieces attached to a disc made from reef putty or something.

What is reef putty? I"m scared of cutting it up that much but I may just try it 8)

That's actually the recommended method of fragging. Cutting straight through the stalk can work but apparently it's a bit risky.

Reef putty is exactly what it sounds like :p it's used to stick rocks together or attach frags to rocks. The good stuff turns a nice purple once it's cured and looks just like coralline.

Atari said:

I actually have it but haven't had much time to read lately. So when I cut around this guy do I try to slice as far down the stalk as possible so I have like 4-5 mini toadstools? If i understand you correctly there will be a 2x1" top and then a thin piece of stalk on each frag?

I have some of that putty left from my last project!

well i cut my toad stool stock and it is growing to a 2nd one right now. the cup is starting to form and get it define shape. and the other one is wateing to be sent off.

jamal-188 said:
Atari said:

I actually have it but haven't had much time to read lately. So when I cut around this guy do I try to slice as far down the stalk as possible so I have like 4-5 mini toadstools? If i understand you correctly there will be a 2x1" top and then a thin piece of stalk on each frag?

I have some of that putty left from my last project!
I probably didn't explain it very well. Think of it like a pizza and you're cutting the crust off :lol:

I got you, and it will just grow a new stalk I'm assuming. I"m a bit nervous but perhaps I'll try it.

I know what you mean.. I'm facing the same thing in a few months and it scares me :? But from the research I've done it's a pretty routine procedure. Since you have the book, definitely read through the exact instructions before you do anything.

Back
Top Bottom