Fragging Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

Ok so I finally got daring today and decided to cut off a small piece of the stock off one off my pieces of Xenia.. As this will be the First Item I have Fragged I am hoping all goes well.. From what I have seen is My Xenia Is pretty tough.. What I did was on the small stalk that I wanted to split into 2 I took a Razor Blade and just cut It in half and rubber banded it to a reef plug.. Lets hope all goes well.. BTW here is a pic of my little frag and its mother.. BTW the moter is the smallest one on the left.. You should be able to tell..

James

Looks good, I would caution fragging at this time in your tank. The recent lighting changes and some of the chemistry problems you've had of late, can weaken your corals and when fragged make them more susceptible to infection. Xenia is one tough coral, so it will probably be fine, but I would hold off any further fragging until your lighting acclimation is done ;)

Yeah I hear ya there.. I planned on waiting a while But I figured that the Xenia seems strong and Healthy so I took a chance with the smallest piece.. I knew I am taking a chance so I am hoping everything turns out good...

Thx,
James

Xenia is like Dollar weeds in your yard... Once it starts it will go and go...

Anywhere you attach it, it will stick and grow...

Remember also, it is suggested to prune it often to speed up growth....

Check out GARF's website for more info.

GARF Xenia Video and instructions.

Wow I didn't know that.. I just tried to cut the smaller one since I was bored.. It seemed to have done awesome.. The mother has recovered now and it seems as though the son is about attached and recovering as well.. I think i am going to use a Rubberband to force the bigger ones to frag themselves... So far so Good seems to be doing awesome... Nice article Timbo Kudos to You

Thanks Again,
James

Remember also, it is suggested to prune it often to speed up growth....

Typically regular fragging/prunning is required to keep it from choking itself out.

On of the easiest ways to frag xenia is to place a piece of rubble next to your stand of xenia and it will spread to it. If the stand is large enough, you can place the rubble right in the middle of the stand, once it spreads....simply cut the rock out.

hmm Maybe I should grab a small piece of my LR and bust it up so I can have samller rubble... I have 2 stalks that are quite big when opened up that is why I stated with the little ones to see if I could as the bigger ones are almost reaching out of the aquarium.. When placing the rubble should I place it directly in the way the the Xenia usually flows??? Any advice on using the rubble to Frag???

TIA,
James

So this looks good then or does it look like its too close to the Xenia since it is directly in front of it..

TIA,
James

i use smaller peices, and just dent in the xenia whith one rock, it should climb on over within a week. by the way i never cut my xenia. and i sold over 100 stalks at my lfs for 20.00 apeice. good luck with it. :D

i sold over 100 stalks at my lfs for 20.00 apeice. good luck with it.

My gosh I wish I could do that, you are lucky to get 5$ a piece here..

Jeeze I paid 10.00 here for the 2 stalks that I got.. BTW Kev when i told you that it was captive raised for 30 yrs I was mistaken it was captive raised for over 30 generations lol.. The LFS that i got it from is pretty nice and I will be spending alot more money in there when my lights are acclimated to the tank... BTW the stylophora pistilla and M. Digitada seem to be doing really well still.. Bubble Coral is getting really big.. I am thinking that I better get him out of the center of the tank so that he doesnt take over the entire tank lol.. They all love the new lights alot even though they are only getting half of it due to the Screens blocking the other half out..

James

Back
Top Bottom