fraging a purple ribbon gorgonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just got a purple ribbon gorgonia and it has alot more branches then i realized. so i was thinking of fraging one of the branches to thin it a little. but before i just grabbed some scissors i wanted to find out the proper method of fraging a coral. any comments will be greatly appreciated.

will the frag anchor itself to a rock or do i need to do it? if so what is a good product to use?

RedLeggedHermit said:
will the frag anchor itself to a rock or do i need to do it? if so what is a good product to use?

Why stainless and can you just cut it anyweres

Any soft coral will eventually anchor itself. Some use rubberbands to anchor soft corals to rocks until they anchor. I'd still glue them myself as it is simple and quick to do.

As for fragging the coral you will want to cut an entire branch off, similar to pruning a tree. You can pull this off several ways, with either a razor blade, a sturdy pair of scissors, or even a scalpel from a medical supply store.

Any soft coral will eventually anchor itself. Some use rubberbands to anchor soft corals to rocks until they anchor. I'd still glue them myself as it is simple and quick to do.

As for fragging the coral you will want to cut an entire branch off, similar to pruning a tree. You can pull this off several ways, with either a razor blade, a sturdy pair of scissors, or even a scalpel from a medical supply store.

can i use supper glue or is there a special kind? ya i want to cut the whole branch off.

I had a small broken branch of a purple plume gorgonian that I super glued into a notch on the side of a arch rock. It took hold in about a week and has been branching ever since.

alright just picked up some corAffix today. the lady at the store said this was what they used when they fragged their corals and they had never had a problem with it.

Any cyanoacrylate glue will work. I buy the Super Glue (brand) 3 small tubes for $1.00 at the Dollar Tree store. Each tube doesn't last long because there is such a small amount in each, but I don't frag that often so it works for me. Also, I just bought a tube of Krazy Glue Advanced and after some discussion (search threads here) decided that that formulation of cyanoacrylate will also be tank safe.

Back
Top Bottom