Frags just don't cut it anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
I'm just tired of spending money on frags as they just don't fill my 90g , I want to buy a bunch of full size corals but not many online places carry a big selection , What I am looking for is 6+ inch size pieces lps,leathers,zoo's
I did find a coral exporter out of California that would sell to the public , but the catch is for a 22 piece box med/lg corals is $1000.plus shipping and it's basically a what you get is what you get so it's a blind order and a bit rich for me ,
I found 2 sites on line that has some big corals but its limited to certain coral ,
anyone who can point me in the right direction of what I'm looking for please do..

thanks

john

My tank was filled with frags 15+ yrs ago. Only after a good bit of time is it full. Time is what fill up the tank.

100_1670.jpg

I'm going through the same thing.
I'm tired of waking up to my little coral frags on the substrate that have been knocked over by either a huge turbo snail or a Naso tang.
I want something that can help me fill a 180g though.
I have been looking on craigslist and sometimes come across a piece or two, so I would check there.

this is what my 40g looked like before I transferred over to the 90g
it was packed and looked great
img_2946572_0_aa86addc4dc5da8e46d0e7e6f55c7041.jpg

I miss my 40g

even with everything from 40 the 90 still looks bare
this is the 90
img_2946572_1_de39aa5e28953c6f431a07af83084654.jpg

You wouldn't think with everything in there it it would just look so empty , I know overtime it will fill in but I just ain't used to a bare tank all the frags hide with in the rocks
it just looks so empty

A wholesale box or a craigslist tank breakdown are the only options besides waiting. A thousand dollars for a box of leathers and zoa rocks sounds like about double what it would cost....I'm not sure I would call that guy "wholesale to the public".

Local reef clubs, stores going out of business or stopping carrying sw, and cl are a few of the ways I've gotten larger pieces. Rest just grew. Where do you live?

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not sure if this would work, but I have a new connection that has good prices and I think he can get whatever you want and he does ship. Look up Reefers Garage on Facebook. He has a relatively small store in Vista, CA but he has tons of corals ( frags and larger colonies ). His prices are probably half what the local LFS sells for and he has much more. Nice guy too.

Another possible option, but probably not as inexpensive is Reef Lounge USA. They are larger, have an insane amount of corals and they do eBay a couple times a month, so they ship. Maybe contact them directly, tell them what you want and see what they say?

I'm picking up a 26 head frogspawn and green maze on Sunday for only $110!!!
Now that's a steal

I've also got a coral/fish guy who kinda sounds like the guy you found, but he lets you select what you want (some places actually post pics and prices of the actual corals) and you pay whatever the total ends up being, plus whatever shipping is and he charges something like $100 (basically his cut for placing the order). Stuff comes into LAX weekly. I'm not sure if he would turn around and FedEx it to you. The prices are still low, even after adding in the shipping. I'd buy a box if I had a few other locals to split it with.

Mother colonies, depending on what they are, are generally not for sale or priced crazy high. I wouldn't sell any of mine for less than $1000. Takes too long to grow big if it's a hard coral for their to be many bargains. Finding someone that was successful, but leaving the hobby is your best bet.

I found someone local who would go in on a box now if I can find one more person local it won't break the bank ,22 pieces in the box the break down would be 7 pieces each and split the extra piece 3 ways , or 1 of the 3 would buy out the other 2 for the extra piece
$350. per person including shipping
the cost per coral avg $58. size rang 8/12 inch each and it's all LPS

Back
Top Bottom