free TDS meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank read at 999 I am hearing from others on our board saying that they are not accrite these are folks who say that they have others to use to verify their readings we do not so I am not taking alot of stock in this :(

Most of the tds meters are meant for testing low TDS e.g. RO output or tap water. They are not accurate at very high tds. I was told by one vendor never to use it check sw mix or tank water.

cmor1701d said:
Most of the tds meters are meant for testing low TDS e.g. RO output or tap water. They are not accurate at very high tds. I was told by one vendor never to use it check sw mix or tank water.
I wonder if that is true of all of them if so it read 1 for my distilled and may be more accurate than thought ... I can see the salt causing it to read funny :oops:

Yeah it shows a graph and says to get anything above 500 tested by a pro.

As cmor commented, TDS of your tank water is pretty much meaningless. Even if you got an accurate reading, you have no idea what it means! If you had 900ppm one day, you could have 900ppm the next day but the water parameters could be totally different. Those "ppm" could've been salt one day, and copper the other day!

If you use it on saltwater, rinse it off quite a bit since any little bit of residue will skew future readings of RO/DI water.

SO they probably are accurate to test the water for going into the tanks but not the salt makes sense DUH Blonde moment here :biglol: :eyes:

I use mine just to monitor the functionality of my ro/di. This one seems to be as accurate as the one I already had.

not bad for the price.

Are you using them to test the TDS of you SW? Never seen that before. Get some TDS calibration fluid and verify the results. TDS meters need to be recalibrated from time to time any way IMO.

I just verify the TDS of my RO/DI water. I hope your tap water is not that high ...

No I had a blonde moment and tested salt as Kurt said it should not be tested I did give it a good wash and rechecked my distilled it showed 1 ppm and 0 ppm so it looks good here

I got mine just before we left for the holiday and did not have a chance to use it. I tested it today and found my tap water to have 305ppm of TDS and my RO/DI water to have 004ppm. I guess my RO/DI is doing a pretty good job.

That's pretty good Brian. When it gets to about 8-10 you should change your DI cartridge.
Have you test the RO portion (can you?)? You should be getting 90-98% rejection from your membrane. When that starts falling you need a new membrane. Your tap water seems pretty high to me. Mine is in the 180-215 range.

Back
Top Bottom