Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Blue spotted jawfish are realitively expensive. The cheapest one I've seen is $100. As with al jawfish they like a deep sand bed 5-6'' with shells to build their home. They can live in 3-4'' deep but the deeper the better. I think a 20 gallon is too small for one. I like pearly jawfish just as much and they are usually around $40. Jawfish are known jumpers too.

If you are going to stay in your apartment for awhile, I would try and get something larger than a 20 gallon (you'll have to check with the property manager to see how big you can go). There are people here who live in apartments with 55 gallons and larger. A bigger tank to start out with will make it easier to take care of (more water volume = stability) and provide you with more choices on fish.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd love to go as big as possible, but space is an issue. I've already got a 45g tank for my puffers, and my room just isn't that big.
I don't know that much about jawfish, other than that I regularly see one at a local movie theatre and he's hilarious. The local LFS sponsors tanks there, who generally they REALLY know their stuff, and he's in ~ a 12 gallon nano cube there, which is why I assumed they'd be alright in a small tank. I know they're expensive but he just cracks me up every time I see him.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea my lfs had one in a ten gallon tank. It's meant for short term. They are very pretty. Of course it would be the only fish in the tank.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
Yea my lfs had one in a ten gallon tank. It's meant for short term. They are very pretty. Of course it would be the only fish in the tank.
Right. I've heard they're quite territorial.
I also love algae blennies, but have heard that they need a well established tank to thrive?

Anyway I think I've made up my mind to try this. Now I need to do some research!
How much LR would I need for a 20g? Could I get away with like 20-30lbs of live rock and 10-20lbs of base rock?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on the density of the rock anywhere from 30-40lbs would be fine. When I set up mine, I had ~25lbs of base rock and ~40lbs of lr. So it'd say I have somewhere under 70lbs of lr with the extra 5lbs from the rocks the corals are on. Your plan sounds good.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds good.
I'd like to get some LR in there, get the tank cycled and going, then maybe add some corals or a fish once I feel comfortable.
I'll definitely need a protein skimmer, and would like to get my own RO/DI unit as well.
A few more questions:

1. Filtration?
Assuming I'll have 60-70lbs of rock, do I need mechanical filtration other than a skimmer and maybe a powerhead with a prefilter?

2. Cycling
Assuming I can get quality cured LR, can I just drop it into the tank that is the correct salinity/temperature, or does it need to be acclimated/prepped?
If so, should I still expect to see ammonia/nitrite spikes (will the tank still need to cycle)?

3. Substrate
I'd like to keep the possibility of getting a blue spotted jawfish open. Would one do okay with deep aragonite, or do I need a more "rubbly" substrate?

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had seen on the web the handheld pico-reef, it is movable without disassembly: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...ic=70637&st=20
brandon429 posted all possible details about setting and keeping such tank, the search on his name shows a lot of threads.

Could be just what you looking for (except the size )
Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would probably get two powerheads and point one towards the surface and then one across the rocks. A prefilter would be good just so small fish dont get sucked up onto the intake and die. Make sure you keep it clean though. I have to aquaclear powerheads with the prefilter they have for them and I took out the filter catridge so it's the plastic outside that prevents fish or even my anemone from being sucked up.

In a 20 gallon tank you dont need a skimmer. You will be good just doing the weekly 15-20% pwc.

Whether you get cured lr or uncured lr there will still be some die off and you should see an ammonia spike. But with cured lr it will probably less of a spike and you may have a mini-cycle. Also with uncured lr you sometimes get more critters and hitchikers (which can be good and bad).

For the substrate you can get around 3'' to 5'' of fine aragonite sand ~1.0 to 1.5mm grain size with shells scattered about and possibly a little ~2.5mm grain size, like a little bag of crushed coral.

Also you need to think about lighting for corals. What types of corals would you like to keep?

Tags
moving, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com