Fresh Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm coming in contact with some fresh live rock(straight from the ocean, transport time will be about 30 min) Should I put it into a diff. container first? If I need to quarantine it first can I do this: Put it in a 5 gal. bucket with newly mixed saltwater and a powerhead? What should the salinity of the water be? How long should I keep it in here for ? Water changes? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Everything should be quarantined and your bucket idea is a good one. Though, if you QT it in a tank, if you have a spare one, you can watch for bad things like aptasia and other undesirable hitchhikers. QT'ing it gives you the opportunity to remove the unwanteds a bit easier than trying to chase things down in your main tank. Ad a heater and powerhead and give it a few days. Then test the water. If it is stable, then you can add the rock to your main. If not, then you can either let it cycle out or do water changes for a few days/weeks til the rock is cured and safe to add to your tank. Salinity should be between 1.023-1.026. I don't know what the exact numbers should be and really, but I wouldn't worry about a few (3) ppm's. That's just me though. Others may have a different opinion on that.

Back
Top Bottom