Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sadie: Did he jump?? How long did you have him?

Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had my 1st one about 6 months before he jumped ship .. I forgot to place the egg crate back on top

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh! Do you mean that you usually had the egg crate on top, but you forgot to one time and he jumped straight out?

I've had mine for 3 weeks now and he's not even tried...fingers crossed :p I love the open- tank look.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep I was doing something and had it off I leaned it up against a wall or something and the lights went out ... I never even saw it was off till the morning when I looked all over for him he landed smack on the stand that we were using at the time and was dead as a door nail ... It took me close to 1 hour to find him their he layed dried as could be I never found one that I liked enough to get but this one I have watched for 2 days and he was active and spunky ... so I got him but now I wont be taking the egg crate off unless I place it where I can see it LOL I am thinking of painting it black to blend in not sure tho
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aww that must be awful I can't do anything with mine but hope really!

Good luck with the new one.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is a clear type of screen that you can get it is a mesh (plastic) you need to make a frame for it to sit on your rim but it prevents jumpers I will look for it for you not sure if it is avail in the UK or not
mesh
mesh
These are similar if not the same as...
Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks Sadielynn. Now I'm worried about mine. I had a carpenters flasher wrasse go carpet surfing a while back. Time to put the egg crate up. It survived a month in a 30 gal uncovered QT tank and has been in the main since Saturday. Egg crate will go on tonight.

I like the mesh that you linked to, but they sell large quantity. Did you find yours locally or did you buy online?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did not get the mesh I got egg crate found in the lighting at home improvement stores it is light difuser panel if youare handy tho you can get plastic mesh for gutters to keep them clean . My egg crate is tight fitting now with no gaps hat I can find LOL
Old 11-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, it looks like I spoke too soon!

My Dad found my dottyback lying on the carpet this morning, not moving. He thought he was dead, but put him back in the tank anyway. AND, he swam right off!! He breathed heavily for a while, and seems to have some bruising and looks a bit beaten up, but now an hour later, he seems happy enough. He's swimming about just about as normal, and I've just fed him fine.

It looks like we were lucky, and he was only on the carpet for 1-3 minutes.

This is the SCARILY weird thing - this was early in the morning, at around 8am, so I was still in bed. When my Dad called up to me to tell me about it, he woke me from a dream. And, I was dreaming that my pink (dottyback) fish had died because he'd jumped out of the water into a box! I woke up briefly glad that "it was only a dream", only to discover the news...I'm slightly freaked out about it!

Anyway, I now have a glass lid on my tank temporarily, and plan on getting an acrylic one custom made, with holes and perforations in it.

BOTTOM LINE: I almost sacrificed the life of my favourite fish, despite being told about their habits before, just for the aesthetic look of an open-top tank, and slight convenience (and aeration). IT'S NOT WORTH IT! Get some egg crate, or something else suitable, and do it for your piece of mind, if nothing else.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad you found him in time Just watch him as he will put out more stress coat , it should clear tho with in a week ,.. we have found 1-2 fish on the floor before I put egg crate on and they lived for about a year then they got traded in .... Now I have egg crate that I use and it fits tight ... there is another netting called pond netting that is out there I found it at several UK site ...that you can get to cover your tank not sure how big the holes are but you would need to build a frame to hold it

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com