Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok. Due to the time constraint I had to make a decision, I have decided to do what I could to help her without risking my coral. As cruel as it sounds, though I'd be thrilled if all the clowns got along, it wouldn't be the end of the world if they don't. So we introduced the clown, shrimp, and tang to my tank last night.

She had about 40 - 50 lbs of LR that I have put in the sump and I have temporarily put the Angel in the sump as well due to the warnings from everyone here.

Right or wrong, the deed is done. Now I just need to do my best to ensure everything's survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff
The OP's tank IMO has a very light bioload and adding three or four new fish will increase it substantially enough to need watching. Adding liverock from a crashed tank would insure a cycle of some sort with all the die off so if intending to use it, I'd cycle it in another container before adding it to my tank.
The LR from her tank was out of the water for about 4 hours. Is that enough time to get a lot of die off? I didn't read your recommendation about cycling until today and I had put it in my sump last night.... Do you think I'll be ok as long as I monitor everything closely and do frequent PWC's until the level settle down?

Quote:
This may work if adding another established pair but with one pair and an outsider there will always be an odd man out. I don't believe a 75g tank is big enough for them to not find and harass him eventually even with rearranging the liverock.
I talked with her about the risks you guys mentioned with the clowns. We agreed to try it out and see what happened.

Quote:
His corals are listed in his sig. Softies and sps... a bicolored angels dream buffet.
The coral in my tank is much more valuable to me than the fish. So I've decided to heed everyone's advice and keep the Angel out. It's currently in the sump but I think we will be taking it to the LFS.

Protein Skimmer

Livestock: 80lbs LR; 4 Green Chromis; 6Line Wrasse; BiCo Blenny; Diamond Goby; Cleaner Shrimp; Assorted Snails/Hermits/Emeralds; Assorted Mushrooms; Leathers; Zoos; Hammer; Xenia; Star Polyps; Acropora
Rhetoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric
The LR from her tank was out of the water for about 4 hours. Is that enough time to get a lot of die off? I didn't read your recommendation about cycling until today and I had put it in my sump last night....
Four hours is plenty of time for things to begin to die off but I would think this should be minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetoric
Do you think I'll be ok as long as I monitor everything closely and do frequent PWC's until the level settle down?
That's really all you can do. Do plenty of water testings and be prepared for water changes. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

do you have a sump by any chance? if its not all full of rocks and stuff you can throw a smaller fish in there temporarly... thats what i did when my fish were getting picked on..... i kinda used it as a holding tank/hospital tank... also bicolor angels are really hard to care for... they are really picky eaters and almost never survive in a tank.. GL with that though... and some nip at corals
Old 08-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #14

Quote:
That's really all you can do. Do plenty of water testings and be prepared for water changes. Good luck.
I can't thank you guys enough for your input. You'll really helped me out and undoubtedly saved a lot of my coral.

Now I've got a new problem. Well, new to me. The Tang looks horrible. I thought maybe it was just stressed out due to the change in environment but she says that is how it has looked for months. Here's a brief description. On death's doorstep.

Here's a little bit longer one. Around it's eyes it is white, I heard from the LFS guy that this could be a vitamin deficiency? His belly is white fading to green/yellow and then to blue and the belly is kind of odd shaped, not smooth. He has a hole in his tail...right in the middle of it. The fins on his back seem irregular as well, but I don't know much about this species.
I'm going to try to post a picture of him.

EDIT: Here are 2 pics of this poor fish (hope I did this right):

This is a full side view. Face & Belly really look bad.

From the side too but you can see the hole in the tail.

She says that it has looked this way for several months and if it was going to die, she thought it would have done it by now. *shrug*

It seems to be behaving normally. It hides when I come close to the tank but comes out after I stand there a minute or so. It wasn't shy about eating this morning either.
Protein Skimmer

Livestock: 80lbs LR; 4 Green Chromis; 6Line Wrasse; BiCo Blenny; Diamond Goby; Cleaner Shrimp; Assorted Snails/Hermits/Emeralds; Assorted Mushrooms; Leathers; Zoos; Hammer; Xenia; Star Polyps; Acropora
Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

ouch
Old 08-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like the poor guy needs some good, nutritious food ASAP...I'm not an expert on what to give him but someone will chime in with suggestions. I know tangs are notorious for getting like this because of poor nutrition. Hopefully you can help him out with some better food. Poor fishie!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would get him some dried seaweed and some greens to eat. He looks pretty neglected.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

That looks horrible and I can't be sure what's wrong with it. More background info on the tank and her maintenance, etc may help. It would be nice to know how it started and what she's been feeding it, if anything has been added to the tank, etc. I would definitely QT this fish. Whatever it has may or may not be contagious. It may be a bacterial infection, and like newfound said, it could be from poor nutrition. Poor or improper nutrition could cause the fish to succumb to infection. Gonna bring this thread to the attention of some others to see if they can help as I have very little experience with sick fish. How sad.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #19

I just picked up some Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select Green Marine Algae (Natural Dried Seaweeds) at the LFS. So hopefully I'm starting him in the right direction. I'll try to get more info from her. Thanks again.
Protein Skimmer

Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

That tang has an advanced cae of marine head and lateral line erosion. See here for more information,
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/sp/index.php

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com