Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Friend lost aquarium! How can I help out?

Over the weekend, a friend's powerstrip caught on fire and destroyed everything plugged into it including lights, heater, skimmer, pump, etc. She can't afford to replace everything right now and is looking for a home for her fish and shrimp. I really want to help her but am not sure how much more my tank can handle and whether or not her fish would get along with mine. Can you all give me recommendations? Which fish/shrimp can I take? How many can I take? What are the chances that hers and mine will live together in peace?

What I have:
75g tank w/38g sump
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Diamond Watchmen Goby
1 Bicolor Blenny
1 Sixline Wrasse
3 Green Chromis
1 Cleaner shrimp
Misc crabs and snails

What she needs a home for:
1 Clownfish (EDIT: Sounds like this is an Ocellaris or a Percula)
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Other fish; she says it looks like a Yellow tang but the back half of it is blue (working on an ID for this one too)
2 Cleaner Shrimp

If I can catch the Chromis, I can remove them and take them back to the pet store to make more room for hers. I'd really like to help her out, what do you guys think?

Thanks for any advice!!

Protein Skimmer

Livestock: 80lbs LR; 4 Green Chromis; 6Line Wrasse; BiCo Blenny; Diamond Goby; Cleaner Shrimp; Assorted Snails/Hermits/Emeralds; Assorted Mushrooms; Leathers; Zoos; Hammer; Xenia; Star Polyps; Acropora
Rhetoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding another clown to your tank could be a problem since you already have an established pair, the new one would get picked on.
The blue tang may be ok for a while depending on it's size.
Not sure on the yellow fish since you don't really know what it is. The cleaner shrimp shouldn't be a problem. Your tank isn't heavily stocked in my opinion and I really see no reason to get rid of the chromis but that's up to you. The only problem I would caution you on is adding so much at one time. You'll really want to watch your parameters and be prepared to do extra water changes if your numbers swing with the added bioload. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #3

Hi! Thanks for the tips! Glad to hear that most of it might not be a problem.

I just found out that the other fish is actually a Bicolor Angelfish. I don't know anything about angels, so any recomendations or thoughts?

Thanks again for the help!
Protein Skimmer

Livestock: 80lbs LR; 4 Green Chromis; 6Line Wrasse; BiCo Blenny; Diamond Goby; Cleaner Shrimp; Assorted Snails/Hermits/Emeralds; Assorted Mushrooms; Leathers; Zoos; Hammer; Xenia; Star Polyps; Acropora
Old 08-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only problem I can see with the bi-color angel is, the dwarf angels are hit and miss where corals are concerned. It may or may not nip at them so it would be a gamble to add it. Sometimes they can be fine for years then completely do an about face and become terrors in a reef tank. Just keep in mind that possibility while making your decision. Personally, I'd skip the angel. Maybe your lfs will take it.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Fluff! The angel could cause you problems, the other sound fine with the excpetion of the other clown. I would see about taking that to the LFS as well. Sorry to hear about your friends loss I know that is a major blow and I would be devistated if it happened to me!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that everything else seems OK but as Cindy mentioned the bi color angel will/might be a problem with your corals. You`ll probably might need to do frequent PWC`s to cope with the bio load change as Cindy said also.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:02 PM   #7

I really appreciate all your feedback. The consensus seems to be that the shrimp and tang will probably be ok, but the clownfish is questionable due to territorial issues with the other clowns and the angel is questionable due to possibly nipping at coral.

Hmmmm. I did talk to my LFS and they said they'd take the Angel. I'm going to speak with my friend this afternoon and get her feeling on this. Thanks again!
Protein Skimmer

Old 08-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

How well established is your tank? (how old is it?) How much liverock do you have? Does she have any that will also need to go into your tank?

The amount of live rock and subsequently coralline algae will determine how much of a bio load your tank can handle.

As for the clown, you could try rearranging your tank, sometimes this helps break up the territorial boundaries that are already set, long enough to sneak in a new guy.

On the Angel, as far as it nipping at coral, you dont mention any coral. If you dont have any, would it be possible to hang on to the guy for a while for her?

In a perfect world, we would have gills,,,,,and opposable toes.-- Me
stainless_wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless_wm
How well established is your tank? (how old is it?) How much liverock do you have? Does she have any that will also need to go into your tank?
The OP's tank IMO has a very light bioload and adding three or four new fish will increase it substantially enough to need watching. Adding liverock from a crashed tank would insure a cycle of some sort with all the die off so if intending to use it, I'd cycle it in another container before adding it to my tank.

Quote:
The amount of live rock and subsequently coralline algae will determine how much of a bio load your tank can handle.
The amount of live rock will help but coralline algae has nothing to do with bioload.

Quote:
As for the clown, you could try rearranging your tank, sometimes this helps break up the territorial boundaries that are already set, long enough to sneak in a new guy.
This may work if adding another established pair but with one pair and an outsider there will always be an odd man out. I don't believe a 75g tank is big enough for them to not find and harass him eventually even with rearranging the liverock.

Quote:
On the Angel, as far as it nipping at coral, you dont mention any coral. If you dont have any, would it be possible to hang on to the guy for a while for her?
His corals are listed in his sig. Softies and sps... a bicolored angels dream buffet.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I hate to sound like an old grump, but I would be VERY reluctant to "help" in any manner that meant introducing fish into MY harmonious and healthy aquarium. You are taking a big risk to even consider it. JMHO

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com