frog spawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blondek727

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 40 gallon breeder salt water with coralife 192 watt light hood and i want to know what types of of coral i could put in here. I have one xenia that is doing great and i would like to get a frog spawn frag and i also was wondering what other corals would be good for this set up. Thanks ahead of time! :eek:

aaron

I would say most soft and LPS corals. Frogspawn should do OK. Try a bubble coral.

I wouldn't attempt any anemones with just PC lighting. Any LPS or soft corals should be good. Some of the SPS that are tolerant of less light (stylophora, seriatopora, etc) would be OK as long as they're placed high in the tank.

Yes I`d say you dont have enough intensity with PC lighting for anenome`s. Just my opinion.

i have a 40 gallon breeder salt water with coralife 192 watt light hood and i want to know what types of of coral i could put in here. I have one xenia that is doing great and i would like to get a frog spawn frag and i also was wondering what other corals would be good for this set up. Thanks ahead of time! :eek:

aaron

Keep that xenia well trimmed, I have seen it take over tanks. I also agree that frogspawn would be good for yout tank but no anemone.

I'm still new to saltwater so what do u mean about intesity do u mean not enough watts per gallon?

Not watts per gallon, intensity has more to do with PAR and how much usable light penetrates into the water and how deep. watts per gallon is becoming obsolete with the use of good lights such as T5HO or Halides.

I think the 40 breeder is only 13" tall. So with a tank that shallow i think you would have success with softies, LPS, and even a good portion of SPS. Some of the more picky SPS may give you a bit of a problem but i would think most will be ok so close to the lights.

If you went with a bubble tip anemone i think you would be fine. Some of the more difficult species i would probably avoid not only because of light but just keeping stable enough parameters for such a particular invert in a tank that size is very challenging.

Thanks pat for the info I was thinkin the same thing. The tank is very shallow only 13 or 14in. so I would think that light intesity wouldn't matter as much cuz the light isn't penatrating that much water I could see if u had a 30 or 40in. Then u would probably be more concerned with intensity but I could be wrong I'm still new to this salt stuff. Oh and what does PAR stand for?

PAR -> photosynthetically available radiation

The amount of light reaching the coral that it can use in the process of photosynthesis.

There probably are some SPS corals that really do need a certain level of intensity to really grow and thrive but i doubt there are very many that would need a whole lot more then you would be able to provide with the light you have in such a shallow tank. Something you will just have to do a bit of trial an error on. Start with some of the easier ones and move your way up.

Not watts per gallon, intensity has more to do with PAR and how much usable light penetrates into the water and how deep. watts per gallon is becoming obsolete with the use of good lights such as T5HO or Halides.

(y)

Ugh! Don't do xenia! I wish I hadn't put any in my tank. I go after it with a vengence but it still manages to pop up. My first corals were a batch of mushrooms, toadstool/leather, and a mondo frogspawn. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom