Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2004, 09:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a frogfish and it took me a year to get him to eat frozen mysis and he takes it right out of the turkey baster. Mine is in my 90 and I would put live brine in a turkey baster let him see its food coming out, once I got him used to that i put frozen brine in the baster than put the mysis. It took me a year of patience.....lol
I also fed baby guppies in the mean time, he has never touched any snails or hermits or any of the fish for that matter.

Kaye

Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

And I meant a Leaf Scorpionfish not a frogfish....lol
Sometimes I swear I dont know my own fish.....lol 8O

Kaye

Old 06-23-2004, 11:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I have a bunch of snails/hermits as well, think there is a mantis in the LR but I can't ever seem to find him
Old 06-24-2004, 10:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I’ve had a frog for about 4 months, got him to take frozen silversides after only a few weeks using the same method that jamal used. He was in my 150, but got very stressed when I was battling cyano so I moved him to my 20. I'll move him back to the 150 eventually, but he seems very content hiding in the hole in the rock that he adopted as his home. Mines about 3" long and if memory serves he was only about $25. He’s probably grown at least an inch in the 4 months I’ve had him.

Most visitors to my tanks go directly to the 20 to try and find the frogfish. Great conversation piece, and really cool fish.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Had to take a pic - Notice the iverocks.com rocks hes sitting on

Old 06-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Nitrate, that's a cute little guy What kind of lion is that in the back? I really would like to add antoehr fish in my 30g but I'm really not sure what to add?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:35 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
hey jamal-188, saw a yellow angler for $30 in SF, pretty good deal, huh? May even get it at wholesale price.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually moved him back to the 150. Thats a volitan lion behind him, fairly large fella too.

I did have him in the 20 with a antanata lion for a while, I know that too much bioload for the 20, but didnt have much of a choice at the time.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Some keep frogfish in reef systems of course no shrimp or it's time for some cocktail sauce. I think hermits would be fine with some live rock.

I have heard that feeding them guppies ghost shrimp and even mollies is best using a small net and moving the net towards the frogfish.

You can trick the fish into eating frozen shrimp thawed and skewered on a stick and wiggle it in front of them. They take their time and are very methodical when it comes time to hunt.

They digest their food slowly and eat about twice a week. Be careful over feeding that seems to be what kills most of them in the wild and home aquarium...gluttony..If a fish eats too much it won't digest fast enough and gasses will make the fish float and death will occur.

This is all out of Marine Fish and Reef 2003 Annual..Special 5th anniversary

50 gallon saltwater fish only...1 mated pair yellowtail damsels, neon dottyback, tomato clown, huma trigger, lemonpeel angel, 12 stripe wrase, bi-color blenny, dozen or so hermit crabs-scarlet and mexican, cerith snails, turbo snails, orange linkia starfish, 50 plus pounds of purple-pink coraline encrusted rock and a few mushrooms.

Redsea prism protein skimmer, 404 Fluval, UGF with two 201 powerheads.

7 gallon tank with 6 pounds of live rock and countless brittlestars, 5 hermit crabs, snails and 1 False Percula Clown fish and Camel Back Dancing shrimp
1neondottyback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com