Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
Frogfish?

I have seen several tanks and heard about people (AFM) that have kept frogfish, sometimes in as small as 3 gallon tanks! Anyone here had a frogfish or know somewher to order one? These guys are very cool and I think it would be a nice "oddity" to own.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Tadpoles? I've seen those around for years. Is this what you mean by frogfish?

Old 06-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Do you mean frogface angler? These are non-energetic, but cool none-the-less but still require at least 30Gallons. They don't swim or move a whole lot, but they are sefinately interesting to look at.

HTH,
R-
Old 06-23-2004, 09:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I have one in a 30g tank although many people keep them in smaller tanks. There is a huge thread on RC discussing them, I'll see if I can find it when I get home from work. I've had mine for a few months and have luckily got him to eat frozen food, but some will only take live. Liveaquaria.com sells them. I got mine at my work(thatfishplace), if you can't find one let me know, we don't have them on our website yet but I'm sure we could send you one because we usually have a few in the store.

They definately are interesting fish, but they don't move around too much. Mine usually walks around the bottom looking for a good perch. I hve only seen him swim on a handful of occassions and it's only for a couple seconds.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is the link, pretty long but it has a lot of good info >>Frogfish Files<<
Old 06-23-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very cool, thanks jamal. BTW, how much was yours? They ranged on LiveAquaria from $30-120. Also, do you keep anything else in the 30 gallon? I have a 6 gallon i was thinking about keeping it in, but would it eventually get too big? Lastly, what do you feed yours and how often. Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I paid $30 for mine but they really range in price depending on what type. They also range in size from 3-12" or so. I think a smaller one would be fine in a 6 gallon as they don't really move around much. As a juvenille I would suggest feeding every 3-4 times a week and 2-3 times a week as an adult. With that small of a tank I'd keep an eye on water quality but since they are inactive and eat very little it shouldn't be a problem. They also excret small pellet like waster so it's easy to spot and clean up.

I feed mine a piece of freeze dried krill soaked in vitamins about 3 times a week. Just make sure the piece isn't too large, I suggest reading the thread on RC, I know it's long but goes over a lot of important points on feeding them as they will pretty much eat until they die if you let them. Food will basically rot in their stomach faster than it can be digested hence the reason to feed them smaller pieces on only every few days.

I do not keep anything else in my tank but I think I will once I find a suitable tankmate? (i.e. something too large for him to eat but not too aggressive that it will pick on him or will outgrow a 30g tank )

HTH,
Chris
Old 06-23-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I forgot to mention that luckily mine does eat frozen/prepared food although i kind of have to trick him. I use a long set of tongs but I have to wiggle it around for a few seconds until he gets really excited. If I take it right to him he won't eat it. I"m not sure if wiggling it makes him think it's alive or what but it works!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm...that's a new one to me, and an interestingly ugly fish.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read the article, very informing. I am amazed at now many frofish owners there are, and there tendency to run out and buy a new one every time one dies. for these costly fish I think it would take me a while to buckle down and get a new one. Right now the six gallon is very well cycled with two damsels. maybe i will leave them in for a snack . No, I plan on returning them to the store, and get a little credit. BTW do you keed scavengers (i.e. snails, hermits) with the frog?

Tags
frog

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com