frogspawn...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Feeding wise I've been using that coral frenzy anyone else use it for their filter feeders? If not what do you use? I've also heard target feeding photoplankton any ideas on that?

I have one and it seems to be doing really well with just the algea that I scrape from the glass. I have had it about a month and it is doing great knock wood. From all I have seen on the site so far you don't need to target feed them as long as they are getting enough light and water quality is good

exactly what big said. no target feeding is neccesary but i dont see a problem dosing in some phyto as long as you are not over dosing. 2 times a month should be fine but the frogspawn will get all it needs from your lights and water column, of course assuming your lighting is enough

My two frogspawns actually take mysis shrimp and brine shrimp i feed them once or twice a week becasue i want them to grow

Yeah I kind of figured maybe the corals would scrounge when I feed mysis shrimp but I don't necessarily target just the corals I am new to sw so just did a lot of research here before I got mine hope this helps.

The only thing I feed my tank is brine shrimp and my frogspawn is doing really well.

Read below....

Frogspawn Coral Euphyllia paradivisa
SkiFletch
Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:56 PM
Common name(s): Frogspawn Coral

Scientific name: Euphyllia paradivisa

Family: Caryophylliidae

Temperament: Highly Aggressive

Tank Placement: Bottom or Central

Water Flow: Medium

Light: Moderate

Care: The frogspawn coral is a relatively simple LPS (Large Polyped Stony) coral to care for, similar to other members of the Euphyllia genus. While frogspawns will grow fastest under high-powered halide or T5 lighting, even modest Power Compact lighting is enough to maintain this specemin. Their fleshy bodies are not tolerant of extreme point-flows as created from some powerheads yet they will do well in medium or high diffuse flow such as created by Tunze or Seio powerheads. The coral will not tolerate low flowrates very well at all. Water chemistry requirements are typical for most tropical corals, 72-78°F, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4, dKH 8-12, calcium 350-450ppm. They are tolerant of higher temperatures in the summer months up to 83°F and will grow fastest at higher calcium and alkalinity levels.

Frogspawn corals may be difficult to acclimate initially and are somewhat prone to "Brown Jelly" immune responses or infections early after introduction like their cousins the Torch coral. Frogspawn corals seem to be less suceptible to these infections yet if so afflicted, fragging is usually required to save a colony from such a response as spread is quick and deadly.

Feeding: Frogspawns have long tentacles packed full of Nematocysts to capture meaty foods and either digest them on-site, or to bring them to its mouth for consumption. Feeding of smaller meaty foods such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, krill, cyclopeeze, etc will rapidly speed up the coral's growth and stimulate its colors. Feedings are not required however as Frogspawn corals are excellent hosts to symbiotic zooxanthellae. As such Frogspawn corals can live almoast solely on energy of photosynthesis, even under moderate Power Compact lighting.

Propagation: This coral can be 'fragged' with a hammer and chisel, pruning shears, or screwdriver, but, damaging the coral is possible. It is best to frag at splits of the heads once the flesh has grown beyond the point at which the skeleton grows. Cutting flesh directly yeilds higher mortality than waiting for growth of the coral. Most healthy frogspawn colonies do tolerate fragmenting well though.

Comment: Frogspawn corals are an excellent choice as an anemone substitue as they are significantly more hardy and significantly easier to care for while offering similar appearance and vibrant colors. Like an anemone, other tank mates (especially nearby corals) should beware a Frogspawn coral's powerful sting. Perhaps only the Hammer and torch corals (Euphyllia Anchora/Paranchora, and Euphyllia Glabrescens) have a more powerful sting than the Frogspawn. This species may also play host to clownfish.

Attachments

• image-3384287145.jpg
    image-3384287145.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 138
  • image-1853892701.jpg
    image-1853892701.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 134
Here is a picture from a month ago when I still had T5's. I have LED setup now.

Attachments

• image-2264152772.jpg
    image-2264152772.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 131
Back
Top Bottom