Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

frogspawn coral

Hey guys I just bought a frogspawn coral im hoping my clowns will choose to host but my question is if you guys would approve of me glueing the base of the frogspawn to a piece of live rock to keep it in place? I have a lot of other corals I want to protect and if it falls off the rock it could land on some. I have a couple of Turbo snails that have become a pain in the *** and knock my smaller frags over every night and could knock the frogspawn over too. I attached a picture of it too because I really like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130215_092358.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	152279  

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's what I would do just make sure you find the best place for it first. Great looking coral!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah find a nice place and see of you can leave it there for a little while. Make sure it's happy with the lighting and flow. Then glue it or use epoxy to keep it in place.

Looks real good btw...

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks guys! That position in the sand didn't last. My starfish and snails didn't like it there I guess haha. But yeah when I find a place for it ill glue it in. Thanks for the tips!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anytime

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty20
Hey guys I just bought a frogspawn coral im hoping my clowns will choose to host but my question is if you guys would approve of me glueing the base of the frogspawn to a piece of live rock to keep it in place? I have a lot of other corals I want to protect and if it falls off the rock it could land on some. I have a couple of Turbo snails that have become a pain in the *** and knock my smaller frags over every night and could knock the frogspawn over too. I attached a picture of it too because I really like it!
Really good chance your clowns won't host .. but great color
Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I understand the idea of "hoping the clowns will go to it" but sometimes what we think will work well may not long-term. This isn't always true but sometimes a clown will take a liking to a Hammer, Frogspawn, Torch coral and inadvertently kill it. The genus of Euphyllia (frogspawn, hammer, and torch all included) has soft and somewhat fragile flesh especially when compared to Anemone. Also to make matters worse Euphyllia are extremely susceptible to Brown Jelly Disease (BSD) which is a very fast spreading and usually lethal bacterial infection. It is usually the result of some flesh damage of the LPS. Because
Euphyllia do have soft tissue placed on top of hard, sharp, stony base they are sometimes their own worst enemy. Also a strong flow going in the wrong direction can also cause this injury to happen. Here's a good article (somewhat dated) on BJD (bacterial disease in general).
Corals - Bacterial

I lost about 80% of my Hammer in a tank from BJD which I am almost positive started because my clown took a liking to my hammer coral. I lost about 60 heads in about 3 days and was only able to salvage a small colony via aggressive dips and lots of flow to keep things flowing off of the coral.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I glue frags to small rocks then wedge the rock where I want it just a suggestion. Nice coral!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Faye that's what I planned on doing with a smaller piece of live rock so i can have a little bit more options in moving it. Anyone have a glue they would recommend?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty20 View Post
Anyone have a glue they would recommend?
Reef Epoxy (online or at LFS) is great for "Stony" coral and I usually put a generous dab of Super Glue Gel on both sides to get an immediate bond. Then once the Epoxy dries it completes the process. I usually order the "Purple" colored epoxy as it blends in the fastest but in a mature and stable reef tank any color will turn purple naturally in a few months.

Tags
coral, frog, frogs, frogspawn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com