Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Frogspawn Fragging?

Who has fragged frog spawn or branching torch? I have the canopy off my tank and am getting ready to attack my frogspawn. It is about the size of a basketball now and just too big for the tank. I could use some pointers if anyone has done this.

I have a dremel with a cut off wheel ready to go. Please chime in. I'll be taking pics through out to document the progress.

Thanks!!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You can use sharp shears to cut through the brittle skeletal branches and not even remove the colony.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Its got to come out of the tank to do this. I can't get to it where it is. I know that most people use a dremel or something similar to that to cut it. The skeleton is so brittle that I'm afraid that shears would destroy it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The same applies for dremel work just as long as you cut through the skeleton and not the tissue. Depending on how intricate the skeletal stalks are, you may have to cut out of your way just to stay proportionate to your desired end result. If there are several heads with tissues "joined" you can use a razor blade to slice through the tissue and then use the dremel to cut through the skeleton so tissue isn't ripped apart.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can use a jig saw to cut the skeletal part also. I did that when I got the 3 head frogspawn that was full of aptasia, worked out pretty well for me using it.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I can't get it out of the tank without taking apart my rock structure...I'm not sure what I'm going to do now...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Can't help you on fragging. Are you going to sell the frags if you can ever get it out of there?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My next FTS will not look at all like it did...I have removed my large Teal Acro colony....I took pics of it out of the water with a ruler for scale...I'll post them in a little bit....I'm using the space it freed up for my new acros...I'm going to chop up the Teal and add it to the for sale...The colony is about the size of a basketball...
Old 06-23-2008, 12:50 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well I ended up using a hack saw blad and cutting 2 large sections off the frogspawn one has 6 heads and the other has 18. What a PITA!!!!

I also had to remove my large colony of Teal Acro...the mount was gone and the coral had shifted from all the movement in the tank. I took some pics of it while I had it out of the tank the size is impressive! I decided not to put it back in the main display I used the space for my new ORA frags and the colony I picked up. What a mess I have made...oh well getting to watch them grow again will be interesting...I'll get some pics posted tomorrow...I still don't have the light back on the tank yet...still working on the mess.....
Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops... looks like I'm too late to offer advice. With my branching torch, I ended up using a short little hacksaw blade that I wrapped a bunch of masking tape around to make a handle. I also did it first thing in the morning before the lights came on so the polyps weren't in the way. But 18 heads... wow. That was a big hunk! I only did 3.

Tags
frag, frog, frogs, frogspawn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com