Frogspawn Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up a frag of frogspawn today. It came with 4 stalks, all about 2 inches each growing on the rock. 3 of the stalks are dead, one is alive and well. Will the alive one grow and eventually cover and hide the ugly dead stalks?

Also, random question. I turned one of my powerheads off so my new frags had time to root themselves without being blown all around. Since then, My fish have come out a LOT more. My Green Manderin is always hiding, but since hes been out hanging around. As well as my clowns. It looks like I have enough flow in my tank atm. My return is on the left side shooting behind the rocks to move around any possible dead spots, and my power head thats on is at the top right of my tank shooting up and out. I can definitely tell that there is flow still in my tank. What you guys think? Should I leave the other off for good? Just afraid I have too much circulation and it makes my fish not want to come out.

If you want you can break the old heads off. I know when I got mine it had two good heads and three that were infected with the brown jelly disease. I just broke the infected one off.

What part do I cut? Just the heads, or the entire stalk? Here, I'll post a pic:

img_1132375_0_20c28e1f5d826597519b5edac2192b9a.jpg

wow ya those stalks are actually very tough. I couldnt even cut it with a knife. I was sorta gentile though. I was afraid that I would hurt it.

Mini hack saw blades work great, or a dremel tool. Just cut it where the white part blends into the darker area and you should be good.

It`s not a frogspawn. It`s a branching hammer. I have one in my tank. I just broke it by hand. Snapped it off where they meet.

Hammer Frogspawn.LOL I think he meant that they were both from the same family..."Euphyllia", there is no such coral as a HammerFrogspawn...

Well to be more precise, he actually asked me, "Which version do you want. Normal Frogspawn or Hammer Frogspawn." lol... It was $35 for that frag btw.

Update:

Doesnt look like my Hammer Coral is going to make it :cry:. I had the LFS cut the dead branches off of him for me. He aparently did not take that well. In the past 12 hours hes lost over 1/2 of his little hammer bubbles and looks like hes about to die. Sad day indeed.

Sorry to hear that. You did everything you could. This happens and it's hard on a person, but you'll be okay.

Sorry to hear that. You did everything you could. This happens and it's hard on a person, but you'll be okay.

Lol yeah im fine. Just sucks that I just got him 2 days ago and hes already dead. Never shopping at that place again...

Update:

Doesnt look like my Hammer Coral is going to make it :cry:. I had the LFS cut the dead branches off of him for me. He aparently did not take that well. In the past 12 hours hes lost over 1/2 of his little hammer bubbles and looks like hes about to die. Sad day indeed.

The cutting of the dead branches wasn't the problem. They were just that... dead branches. No living tissue there. HOWEVER... this family of corals are easily damaged during handling and/or transport. My guess is that during the whole process, the healthy tissue was damaged. Give it some time alone in a corner somewhere and it might surprise you!

Back
Top Bottom