Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Frogspawn question

A few weeks ago, i had bought a frogspawn, and noticed a few days after being in my tank 3 heads dried out and its just a skeleton. Any ideas how this happened? The other 5 heads are doing amazing. I asked a guy at a new LFS near my home and he said it could be attributed to water flow? Insufficient waterflow that is. I just got my Mag 9.5 and Koralia 2 a few minutes ago thru UPS and i will be putting that in my tank today.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I doubt water flow could attribute to any rapid disintegration without there first being some sort of trauma to the coral tissue. A more likely scenario is that tissue was damaged during handling/bagging and infection set in. Did you notice any brown jelly-like substance around the dieing heads?

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
yes i did.

-----Armando-----
Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

As I suspect, tissue damage was the culprit. Keep a close eye on the rest of your coral stocks as brown jelly seems to be contagious throughout.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
As I suspect, tissue damage was the culprit. Keep a close eye on the rest of your coral stocks as brown jelly seems to be contagious throughout.
Pinker Silver tip xenias died and so did my Colt! We will see what happened. I have serious Cyano problems as well.

-----Armando-----
Old 08-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
Pinker Silver tip xenias died and so did my Colt! We will see what happened. I have serious Cyano problems as well.
From your other post, you also have measurable ammonia AND nitrites. I would think that may have more to do with the corals not being happy, but it does sound like that Frogspawn had issues before it got to your tank.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Cyano can be controlled through water changes, mechanical/chemical filtration, and added water flow/aeration. Mind giving some parameter checks such as NH3, NO3, NO2, PO4, pH, Salinity, Ca, Alk, and temp? Any sudden changes in water chemistries you've noticed?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes it sounds like the brown jelly disease to me. As James said there must have been some trauma to that area. Keep a close eye out. I saw your parameters on your other post and you need to get your nitrites and ammonia to 0. Frequent PWC`s will help in the short term while you figure out where the ammonia is coming from.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog, frogs, frogspawn

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com