Frogspawn question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artoledo

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few weeks ago, i had bought a frogspawn, and noticed a few days after being in my tank 3 heads dried out and its just a skeleton. Any ideas how this happened? The other 5 heads are doing amazing. I asked a guy at a new LFS near my home and he said it could be attributed to water flow? Insufficient waterflow that is. I just got my Mag 9.5 and Koralia 2 a few minutes ago thru UPS and i will be putting that in my tank today.

I doubt water flow could attribute to any rapid disintegration without there first being some sort of trauma to the coral tissue. A more likely scenario is that tissue was damaged during handling/bagging and infection set in. Did you notice any brown jelly-like substance around the dieing heads?

As I suspect, tissue damage was the culprit. Keep a close eye on the rest of your coral stocks as brown jelly seems to be contagious throughout.

Innovator said:
As I suspect, tissue damage was the culprit. Keep a close eye on the rest of your coral stocks as brown jelly seems to be contagious throughout.

Pinker Silver tip xenias died and so did my Colt! We will see what happened. I have serious Cyano problems as well.

artoledo said:
Pinker Silver tip xenias died and so did my Colt! We will see what happened. I have serious Cyano problems as well.

From your other post, you also have measurable ammonia AND nitrites. I would think that may have more to do with the corals not being happy, but it does sound like that Frogspawn had issues before it got to your tank.

Cyano can be controlled through water changes, mechanical/chemical filtration, and added water flow/aeration. Mind giving some parameter checks such as NH3, NO3, NO2, PO4, pH, Salinity, Ca, Alk, and temp? Any sudden changes in water chemistries you've noticed?

Yes it sounds like the brown jelly disease to me. As James said there must have been some trauma to that area. Keep a close eye out. I saw your parameters on your other post and you need to get your nitrites and ammonia to 0. Frequent PWC`s will help in the short term while you figure out where the ammonia is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom