From FL - WV how do i travel with coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there a way I could get a small bottle of O2 to pump into a bag?

I'm not to terribly worried about the trip, I'm calling the shop to check about the whole thing

Coral is purchased and will be picked up on the 1st. The owner said to just leave the corals in the double bag. They are going to put O2 in the bag and they will be okay. It'll be in the bag for less then 25hrs

Think that will do? He's also going to give me a styrofoam box for the travel. Think I should get some heat packs?

Heat packs are cheap and so are those little thermometers you stick on the side of your tank . Having both would be helpful to monitor and adjust your temp on the trip! Good luck it is a real nice piece,

I would say you're good. Most dealers receive coral so they know how to ship them. If they're setup with O2 then they're experienced. Don't expose the box to extreme temps for long & be sure to float the bags before you place the coral so it comes up to temp slowly.

Yea I plan on getting some heat packs and then one of those thermometers. I'm not terribly worried! Can't wait to get them home!

Also, how should I acclimate them? I usually just float, but I know a lot of people who drop acclimate. The choices! Haha

Float for an hour. Usually you only need 20 mins but the temps will be farther off.

I never drip acclimate coral, its not necessary but it won't hurt either.

I usually do dip then for 15 minutes in CoralRx to kill off parasites etc you can't easily see.

Start them on the sandbed & work the higher light corals up over time. You can burn them if exposed to too much light too fast.

Float, dip, rinse, light acclimate.

Where does everyone get their coral Rx from? I'm gonna look around but I'm looking for a good deal

I would highly suggest you drip acclimate them. You are introducing them to more than just temperature changes. Salinity and PH also need to be adjusted slowly.

Alright ill drip acclimate. I was planning on it to get them as close to the same levels.

Would you suggest floating then drip acclimate?

And we are ready to head out! 20+hrs and it'll be in the tank!

The aquarium shop put O2 in the bag and gave me a few more bags

image-2740048453.jpg

Perfect! Yea I'm not terrible worried.

If I was to measure the temperature, how would I go about that?

Got the coral home and I'm drip acclimating it now!!!!

Also! There was a hitch hiker on it somewhere! A little crab was in there somewhere! Pretty exciting to see him just hangin out! Hope to have him and the coral in the tank around 1130!!

After 12 mins in the tank, about 95% are open! Success!

image-3835259943.jpg

image-2199475008.jpg

My new crabby friend. I'm pretty sure it's an emerald crab

Just to reiterate, Those zoas you have there were shipped wrapped in wet newspaper from somewhere in Indonesia, over night to California. Then they were shipped over night, either in wet paper again, or in a bag full of water with nothing more than air, to the LFS you bought them from.
I've shipped thousands of corals, fish, clams, and anemones to people all over the country in a bag full of water and regular air in a styro lined box with either heat or cold packs, depending on the time of year.

Yea they did awesome. No problem at all!! Now I need some clarification on what I got! ??

Back
Top Bottom